cummins clutches and opinions

Lincoln_Diesel

That one guy
So I built my truck for 2.5 COTPC/NADM. I'm running a fire punk stage one right now. Have a guy wanting to trade my transmission for his 5 speed. It has all the upgraded shafts etc. But what I'm wondering is, it has a 3850 street dual disk. Has anyone ever pulled with this clutch? We estimate my truck to be 700-800hp, p-pumped 24 valve. Would this clutch hook alright and hold up? I want to do the swap just don't want to get screwed and have to replace the clutch cause it won't leave the line. I'm not scared to side step this clutch this year. I would plan to put a pulling clutch in over the winter. Thanks in advance

Kennys' Pulling Parts weighted 3 disc is what I have in a 2.6 truck. No problems out of it and it's on it's second season. Ride the clutch anywhere from 10-20 feet off the start. Pulled it out this winter and had to remove a few shims but looked great. Just put a pulling clutch now and be done. That's just my opnion

I wouldn't run a street dual disc, the flywheel is not billet.

I wouldn't run a street dual disc, the flywheel is not billet.

I think he's meaning it's not SFI certified and there's a safety issue with a street clutch on a puller.

So you don't think it would even last the rest of this season?

A dual disc street clutch is rated to about 750hp at the flywheel. I know guys that are above that and running it but it's on the ragged edge if not over it. Whether it's an auto or a manual I think most people would suggest a triple disc set-up otherwise you are on borrowed time.

So you don't think it would even last the rest of this season?

Safety issue really, I am sure some folks do it, but I would never recommend it. The SFI approved flywheels are billet, they have the ability to expand and retract, unlike the street duals which flywheels are made from nodular and or ductile iron.

i have a kennys 4000lb diaphram, sintered iron triple disc. it replaced a 4 finger 3850 ceramic dual disc and i have never looked back since, dual disc kept warping floater plates. triple hasnt been touched in 3 years and the pedal feels near stock to push.if your gonna pull with it, get a good clutch to begin with and save you some headache and time. i think being ceramic was my biggest problem with my dual disc. and FYI i dont think side stepping the clutch is good practice, JMO

Im running a valair weighted tripple disk in my 12v with a ZF6. And love it... pkus Dan's customer service is top notch....

I'm running haisleys triple and have had a few problems. I've heard better results with kennys

Back