Cummins CR Rocker Arms

MAXTORQ

Drop by, beers on me !
Wanted a complete set of CR rocker arms from like a 2006 in decent shape.

Just buy a complete new set from Cummins, they are around $250 iirc.

Lavon

Is there a difference between an 06 and any other 24v?

Through the 24 valve/CR eras there are 2 basic versions of rockers.

1 version, the more "known" one, has the plastic lash cap retainers, these run from @ 2000 through 2009.
The other version has the lash caps pressed onto the tip and were found on the early 5.9 24 valves and @ 2010 up 6.7s.

I may be off a bit on the year ranges, with the way Cummins can do certain things in an on-road engine, yet do totally another in an off-road engine, but I'm close, at least.

Of course, I have a few sets of either style.

Mark.

Little info on 24 valve/CR rocker arms that I know.

There are 2 basic designs, pressed cap and I'll call the other retained cap.
"Retained Caps" are the ones with the plastic retainer to keep the lash cap retained to the rocker's ball.
Pressed cap are machined so that they snap over the rocker's ball.

The pressed cap rockers are used in early 5.9 24 valves and 2010-up 6.7s, HOWEVER, the early ones are cast "USA", whereas, from what I have seen, the later ones are all cast "India".

So far, all of the 24v/CR rockers, of either design that I have seen, are cast USA, India or Brazil.

PERSONALLY, from the standpoint of not losing the lash caps, or having broken retainers, I prefer the pressed cap to the retained ones, but that's my personal preference.

Mark.

Little info on 24 valve/CR rocker arms that I know.

There are 2 basic designs, pressed cap and I'll call the other retained cap.
"Retained Caps" are the ones with the plastic retainer to keep the lash cap retained to the rocker's ball.
Pressed cap are machined so that they snap over the rocker's ball.

The pressed cap rockers are used in early 5.9 24 valves and 2010-up 6.7s, HOWEVER, the early ones are cast "USA", whereas, from what I have seen, the later ones are all cast "India".

So far, all of the 24v/CR rockers, of either design that I have seen, are cast USA, India or Brazil.

PERSONALLY, from the standpoint of not losing the lash caps, or having broken retainers, I prefer the pressed cap to the retained ones, but that's my personal preference.

Mark.

However if the lash adjustment is kept up, is there really any issue with the plastic cap ones?

However if the lash adjustment is kept up, is there really any issue with the plastic cap ones?
It's really here nor there, as I said, personal preference.
I know if I were doing a lot of tear downs, for peace of mind the pressed ones allow would seem a better precaution.

Hell, in reality, if you could keep track of the lash caps, you don't even really need the plastic retainers.

Mark.

It's really here nor there, as I said, personal preference.
I know if I were doing a lot of tear downs, for peace of mind the pressed ones allow would seem a better precaution.

Hell, in reality, if you could keep track of the lash caps, you don't even really need the plastic retainers.

Mark.

I wasn't meaning to challenge, more just confirm my thoughts on it, as my 08 has the stock plastic ones. I do agree that something with lots of teardowns, you are just asking to lose a cap.

I have always wanted to change to the later style pressed style. I have a few broken plastic retainers and everytime i take them out i have to keep track of the caps. But as long as theres no catastrophic failure or serious valve float i dont think they are going anywhere

I agree that as long as valve lash is maintained you will never see one of the lash caps fall off even if the black plastic retainer is missing. Just makes it more of a pain to keep track of when going back together if the plastic is gone. Heck, if your valve lash was loose enough to allow a unretained lash cap to fall off then your probalbly going to have something else fall off like the bridge or rocker adjustment stud to pushrod connection. Just my thoughts...

Back