Cummins Rat Rod

Thekid760

Hello everyone!

I'm in the planning stages of my next project as I need more money before I can start the build, but I have much to figure out so I'm looking for input.

The Car:

1928 Dodge Brothers Sedan (what I was told, but really don't know make/model/year)

I plan on making my own chassis, not 100% on size, thinking 2 x 4 x .120.

I will also Cage it, but want to maintain the use of the doors and easy of access, so it'll have swing out door bars (pending Bonneville tech, more on that later)

29Dodge.jpg

The rough idea:

4bt P-pumped, triple turbos, 47RH full manual VB, rearend and gears undecided.

I want to be able to drive it anywhere, so I'm not looking to chop the top more than 4-6", and I want some (i dont need much) creature comforts such as ipod w speakers and something like a Sparco racing seat with a tad bit of padding.

Remember this is mainly a street car, but I also want to take it up to bonneville and see what she'll do. The class looks like it'll be Classic Blown Fuel Altered in engine class E. or E/CBFALT and from what I can find the record is 208mph.
If I were to run the 6BT that would put me in the C engine class where the top speed in 246mph :bow: I'm willing to swap things like the rear end, injectors/turbos, and other small items to acheive my 200mph goal, but dont want to chop the roof to a 4" window just to gain a tad bit of aero. Although I will build a Bonneville nose to slap on that will help.

The only thing that is set in stone as of now is the car, as that is sitting in my garage now, but nothing else is.

Thanks for bearing with my A.D.D. ramblings, now the questions, or statements I need you guys to check and let me know if its feasible.

1) How feasible is it to push a P-pumped 4bt reliably at 600-700hp? This would be changing the turbos and injectors from the street 400-500hp setup to Kill setting at Bonneville.

2) If I had a different rear end just for my LSR would I still need a gear vendors or is the 47RH possibly up to the task of 200mph.

3) Will a built up 8.8" hold up behind a 600hp 4bt? They are cheap and plentiful, so I was considering going that route.

4) I did some very quick and basic calcs for airflow, and it seems for 700 I'll need around 80-100 lb/min of air (and obviously fuel to match) so I was thinking and S251 manifold turbo feeding two S256 which are rated at 55-60 lb/min from what I could find.

5) did more very basic calcs for Aero, and a 34 ford Roadster has a frontal area of 18.0 and a CD of 0.42. mine will be a little bigger and less sleek so I used 20 sqft and 0.46 CD, this nets a requirement of 617hp for 200mph, so I figure 600-700 is my goal. It also seems that those calcs are a tad overrated as I know people that have gone faster than suggested they should with less HP.

I will have a ton more questions and ideas, but I'm hoping to get some discussion started and see just how delusional I am :bang

spiketv_mxc_18.jpg

Pretty tall order. 700hp 4b is no easy task. Getting this car to 200mph doesn't seem safe.

Very tall order indeed. Which is why I'm thinking it isn't going to be too feasible.

But that's what the crazy gear heads at Comp D are for!!!

As far as not being safe:

It's going to be a custom built chassis with full cage built to bonneville rules. It'll just be the skin of the rat rod on it.

And 200mph technically isn't safe in almost anything...

I would use a 6bt but the record is 246mph, this would take 1200hp!

Misspelling courtesy of my fat fingers...

Check out the diesel power mag this month, there is a guy with a rat rod with those numbers on a 4bt.

Thanks, I'll have to check it out.

But back to the not so easy power goal.

Do the turbos I picked out and flow sound about right?

I'm not too up on 4bt.

Look out for cracked cylinders. Ours had one. It's either heads or cylinders that tend to be duds on these. Which one idk, it's too late to type and think at the same time hah

My vote would be twin turbos, not trips.

I'm pretty sure with the right parts, 700 hp is attainable

Very tall order indeed. Which is why I'm thinking it isn't going to be too feasible.

But that's what the crazy gear heads at Comp D are for!!!

As far as not being safe:

It's going to be a custom built chassis with full cage built to bonneville rules. It'll just be the skin of the rat rod on it.

And 200mph technically isn't safe in almost anything...

I would use a 6bt but the record is 246mph, this would take 1200hp!

Safe is an opinionated word, I agree.

I'm pretty sure with the right parts, 700 hp is attainable

While obtainable, think of the Hp/L from 5.9 to 3.9. 1000hp isn't something we consider a cake walk , Will.

why is that? I thought trips usually have a wider powerband, and tend to flow very well in the upper RPM's, not to mention usually spool faster than a larger primary.

School me!

I'm thinking a rough build:

- S251/61/.89 T4 divided (48 lb/min) over S472/83/1.10 T4 (98lb/min) or s468/83/.9 billet (95lb/min)
- 5x.018
- .093 injector lines
- 13mm Pump
- 200gph high pressure (50-60) lift pump
- Custom Cam, but thinking something near a Hamilton 207-220-110 LSA .360"/.360" (but I'll leave that up to the experts)
- studded everything
- polished, shot peened, cryo'd, and balanced rotating assembly
- main girdle?
- coated & lightened pistons
- ported head, 150lb VS, Ti retainers, Sheet Metal Intake
- Tubular Exhaust Manifold
- 10"x9"x4.5" air/water IC
- Water Meth to keep the EGT down on the 5 mile run.
- Depending on triple or normal compounds 2 4" approx 4' long open DP's or a single 4' long 5" open DP

While obtainable, think of the Hp/L from 5.9 to 3.9. 1000hp isn't something we consider a cake walk , Will.

I agree, and I never meant for it to sound easy, but with the right parts and LOTS of tuning its shouldn't be too difficult.

Hows that build look? Its getting late, thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Also where is a good RPM to try and set my 200mph gearing at? I know that build can rev 5k, but where roughly would peak power be and approx where would it fall off?

Off topic but I wonder how much those wooden wheels are worth?

Tobin

I know where there's another one of those that's in a bit better shape. I'll get a picture.

Off topic but I wonder how much those wooden wheels are worth?

Tobin

I was wondering the sand thing.

Their not in good shoe though.

Post a pic up.

Also there's s chance it could be a 1929 Plymouth U. Still Chrysler so cummins is appropriate.

For high RPM racing (4500-5500) will triples for compounds flow better?

I was thinking of Running anS358/65/.88 T3 over and S478/92/1.10 T6 if I run Compounds.

why is that? I thought trips usually have a wider powerband, and tend to flow very well in the upper RPM's, not to mention usually spool faster than a larger primary.

School me!

I'm thinking a rough build:

- S251/61/.89 T4 divided (48 lb/min) over S472/83/1.10 T4 (98lb/min) or s468/83/.9 billet (95lb/min)
- 5x.018
- .093 injector lines
- 13mm Pump
- 200gph high pressure (50-60) lift pump
- Custom Cam, but thinking something near a Hamilton 207-220-110 LSA .360"/.360" (but I'll leave that up to the experts)
- studded everything
- polished, shot peened, cryo'd, and balanced rotating assembly
- main girdle?
- coated & lightened pistons
- ported head, 150lb VS, Ti retainers, Sheet Metal Intake
- Tubular Exhaust Manifold
- 10"x9"x4.5" air/water IC
- Water Meth to keep the EGT down on the 5 mile run.
- Depending on triple or normal compounds 2 4" approx 4' long open DP's or a single 4' long 5" open DP

s251 with a t4 housing? that's a tiny compressor for a T4, seems like you want it to spool super quick with that tiny compressor, but it doesn't flow anything. Why not a more conventional setup, say an S363/t3 for a quick spool? then go with a larger primary. or, keep your twins small, but I can't see a 13mm pump being necessary to feed a S472. Sounds like you're either going to burn up the pump.

And why the tubular manifold? Seems like most everyone nowadays is running a steed speed with good results. Seems like a big expense without the benefit, unless you just want the look.

That was a typo, meant T3.

Yes fast spooling with great upper flow.

Then engine is a 3.9 4BT, to flow enough fuel for 700, a 13mm is pretty much mandatory. Seth @ DPE also recommended a 13, as I plan on having him build it when it's time.

I've also been doing more research and talking to people and it seems an S358 should spool just fine on a 13mm worked over 4bt.

Tubular, because it's a rat rod, I want it to look wicked. And if built properly it should flow very well. I'll build it myself.

I missed the 4bt. I must have misread 6 somewhere. Combo makes a lot more sense that way

No worries, I figured you missed it.

How's the newest choice is turbos sound?

S358 over S478

Back