Custom Built Gooseneck Hitch

Well got it all done Friday ! Went to a "Scrap" yard and bought my supplies, a 1x8 steel plate I cut to 40.5 inches long, and .5x2.5 flat steel that i used to wrap around the plate. Overall I was very happy with the finished product. All said and done, I had about 75 dollars in supplies, including the ball which is a B&W 30k lb. ball with a 2 inch rise. The whole process was VERY easy. The bed came off very quick, and everything went well. Please ask if anyone has any questions!! :woohoo:

Attachments

• 0510131638a.jpg
    0510131638a.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 0510131638.jpg
    0510131638.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 0
Well got it all done Friday ! Went to a "Scrap" yard and bought my supplies, a 1x8 steel plate I cut to 40.5 inches long, and .5x2.5 flat steel that i used to wrap around the plate. Overall I was very happy with the finished product. All said and done, I had about 75 dollars in supplies, including the ball which is a B&W 30k lb. ball with a 2 inch rise. The whole process was VERY easy. The bed came off very quick, and everything went well. Please ask if anyone has any questions!! :woohoo:

Nice work! I just finished mine about an hour ago, I did a quick and easy job. Nothing pretty but it will hold. I took the piece i bought from tractor supply which was a piece of 3/8 steel that was 46x13 i believe and had a piece of 1/2 welded to the center that was 9"x7" with the ball welded to it. Placed it between the frame, welded it with a few 1/8 7018s then drilled holes I'n some 1/2" plate 23" long and bolted it to the Frame then welded it to the hitch plate. Wam bam thank you mam. I didn't pull The bed, woulda made it much easier but i Didn't have time. Costed me $150 for the plate. I'm happy with it,

It's alittle late, but I welded bolts to both ends of some C-channel then welded a 1/2" plate to them with the ball nut welded to it, then i cut 4 strips of 1/4" plate and bolted it to the frame. Just take the inner wheel wells out slide it over the frame, then slide the plates over the welded bolts and then just bolt it to the frame. It's kind of like Jory's style but stonger. Can be removed and there is only one hole for the ball.

I didn't haul a whole lot nor was it usaully very heavy, but it held up to this no problem.
IMG_0132.jpg

I have the screw in type, seems to work good.. I leave it in most of the time,,, biggest thing I see is to make sure that you keep it well lubricated with lithium grease

We dont use the weld in ones anymore because our trucks tend to be prone to the frame cracking. Then the warenty on the frame is no good.

We dont use the weld in ones anymore because our trucks tend to be prone to the frame cracking. Then the warenty on the frame is no good.

I've never experienced anything like that.. I think my setup will work good and I believe it is built plenty heavy enough. A company called Custom Cabs & Trailers in Jamestown, OH uses a setup practically identical to mine, and they do it professionally, except they charge A LOT more :lolly:. So I'm pretty confident in mine.:ylsuper:

Back