Custom bumpers

Yes, I have a old reunel rear that I'm going to sell before I buy the material for the front. It's going to be really tricky but I'll probably just take my time like the rear and prethink a lot of it before cutting and welding. I may also build two fronts when I go to do it. Wink wink nudge nudge!!

E67574FE-5A36-4076-B419-68496D7E8D57-158-0000041810FDB6AC_zps77063f79.jpg

Well got it mounted tonight. Have to drill a few holes and it's time for paint.

Looks great! Nice work, man. Look forward to seeing what you do up front.

Thank you. I tried to keep it as simple as possible, with a few modern twists. I mimicked a reunel for the most part. The only gripe I have with there bumpers is that the license plate sticks up past the bumper.
Now with the front I really like the way the buckstop bumpers look. I may build something similar. Recessed lights, winch ready, and clevis mounts will all be incorporated. Another thing I may also add is a opening for a intake. Or at least to bring more air in on the passenger side. We'll see hopefully I don't get super busy here.

Not sure on the brand?? But the color will be satin black with a clear. It's free, why not?

Looking good, Sutter. More inspiration for me to attempt something LOL. My welding skills are nowhere near good at this point but practice will only make them better. I've had a few tries at some hands-on experience. My exhaust hangers are still solid and intact but that's not much to brag about I suppose.

My uncle worked for reunel for quite a while. He said the number one thing to do is keep your work clamped down. He said proper spreading of your tacks is crucial. When you go to weld keep it clamped down. Then let it cool completely before releasing it. Buddy of mine call a big name bumper manufacturer and asked what to do. They told him that everything is laser cut, and broke the same. Then the pieces are tacked after being placed in a jig. Then once clamped in a jig they let the welder rip. There ways of doing it even if you don't have the fancy equipment.

That's very beautiful work

When I build front bumpers I get it tacked up and weld it to the table and then weld it out

I will keep that in mind and certainly refer back to here for a reminder when the time comes. I just got a set of 4 welding tables from my uncle's machine shop. They're only approx. 18"x24" but they were giving them away. I could place them in a row length-wise and level everything and maybe even make a jig of some sort. At the very least, it'd be a solid base to clamp to.

That's very beautiful work

When I build front bumpers I get it tacked up and weld it to the table and then weld it out

Do you just lay like 1" beads when welding it to the table? I'm assuming the use of a cut-off wheel in the end to remove the welds from the table and a grinder to smooth it all out.

Last edited:
Do you just lay like 1" beads when welding it to the table? I'm assuming the use of a cut-off wheel in the end to remove the welds from the table and a grinder to smooth it all out.[/QUOTE]

This is how I've done it in the past. But after a few project, and not wanting to see grind marks in the paint, I chose to clamp as much as possible. I don't have a cutoff wheel. I grind till I'm close, then give the material a smack or two to knock it free. Then I'll take a catpaw ( flapper disc) to finish the clean up.

Well I know it's not for a first gen, but I'm about done with my yougest sisters front bumper. It's for a 95' f150. The truck is cherry, old man previous owner, with 40k on the ticker. She wanted something for a winch, off road lighting, and recovery points. Everything is tacked. I still need to put a winch plate & opening in it. And I need to put tubing in if for the recessed lights. Clevis mounts will go on as well later. I have a total of 6 hours into it so far. That includes fitting up the top plate and mounts the first night. After some angles were noted I could work on it on my own without her truck there.
B2A2E50A-1362-4E9C-B972-C974FCAECC43-1578-000009329DEC7FB3_zpsdc7ff8b7.jpg

990EC6AB-62EA-4AD5-A942-3023DE284DB1-1578-00000932BAA1EFFE_zpsbb0deba7.jpg

7D767F27-E87C-44B7-9A01-C380F73791BB-1578-00000932D2E3D45C_zpsa9a683e2.jpg

A4729207-856B-4EB5-96BD-45501A673DF1-1578-00000932EA2547CB_zps02dd7470.jpg

Nice work, Sutter! This is really inspiring me to practice more with my welder to get to the point of trusting my work on something this structural.

It's all tacked together now. And the work bench I did all the tacking on has a bow to it (loading ramp for off highway dump trucks). So I'm bringing a different table into the shop for a jig setup. Thats when we will see if I know what I'm doing lol. Wish me luck. And thank you for the kind words.

Last edited:
Back