Custom front airbag suspension

Thanks Eric!

So it looks like I should be running near 70-90psi. I wonder if that affects the ride that much vs something at 50psi. I would think yes but is it better than cut coils...

After reading Jared's whole thread and doing some more research, I am thinking of going with Slam Specialties RE-8's. At 100psi (out of 200psi) and 11" of height (unnecessary) it'll hold 3526lbs. At 6" it is over 4000lbs.

2 of them I can get for $250. Not bad I don't think.

you will have a much sharper ride with the bags at 100psi vs 50psi , something else to look at it is if the bags have bump spots built in. bump stops in the the bag make it much nicer to drive home if you have problem vs towing it

this is a setup we are just finishing up, 10" travel with 11" wide bags.
I do have a hand up on some people i have a 4x4 cnc plasma table so brakcets are pretty easy

Attachments

• 20141218_182024(1).jpg
    20141218_182024(1).jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20141218_182001(1).jpg
    20141218_182001(1).jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20141218_181946.jpg
    20141218_181946.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 0
what part of it ( bar, brackets , joints ) can get some for you , I will be finish welding it tomorrow i think

all of it. I have a question when your travel is at ride height are you axle and bags sitting straight?And when you rasie or lower your suspension does the axle move to the left and right?
Thanks
Chase

from bump stops to full height the axle moves 1/4 inch from side to side . bags are straight and axle has pinion angle set

That does help. I think I have the rear figured out. I was going to do like Dale (owns the 2wd puller Gambler, Ford with a Perkins swap. Can't remember his screen name) and cut the main leaf 10 or so inches from the center line of the rear axle, add a 2" square bar, and weld a plate on the back for the bag. Add a pan hard or watts link and it's a 2 link.

Thanks Eric!

So it looks like I should be running near 70-90psi. I wonder if that affects the ride that much vs something at 50psi. I would think yes but is it better than cut coils...

Where do you get those numbers?

My rear bags take 11 psi to hold ride height on my dually. With a full tank of fuel.

Im building a 2wd truck, total load capacity 5ton all up, using a chev c30 front subframe and building a torque arm rear. I emailed around and eventually decided on slam specialties ss7s for for, emailed them and that is what they recommended, said 8s would be abit "wallowy" for the want of a better made up word. The rear bags I am pretty sure are the sliding taper bags previously mentioned, not home so cant get part numbers. And I am also using the emf bushes mentioned as well. Havent built it yet but have all the parts here and am impressed with the quality of all of the so far. Hope that helps

No leaf springs only air bags. I have full rear air ride. Radius arms. Winks first air ride set up.

Even with a couple thousand pounds in the bed I don't get anywhere near 70psi.

Last edited:
Back