Cut open the 12V head

wagoneer

Since I want to do head porting in my new engine build, I was needed a bit more information about 12V head.
To find out what is going on inside the 12V head we need to just cut open it.

Attachments

• P4060234.JPG
    P4060234.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 0
  • P4060235.JPG
    P4060235.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 0
  • P4060236.JPG
    P4060236.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 0
  • P4060237.JPG
    P4060237.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 0
  • P4060238.JPG
    P4060238.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 0
To see wall thickness and how close passages are to things... And yes I'm guessing it was junk LOL

Well its only way to see the wall thickness and how close the bolt holes and water jacket are.
My friend AsTross was donated this head for motorsports education :bow:, because we both want to make some porting job on the head. And this is the best way to start it. :evil

one of the biggest concerns is the water jacket between the two ports.
a slice cross ways through both ports directly across the valve stem holes to see the shape and thickness of that area would allow for much more material removal in what appears to be a significant flow restriction

What You have done to my cylinder head ? :soap::soap:

:lolly:

No problem, I have still 9 Cummins 12V cylinder heads in the shelf, good to have some extra parts available.

I think those pictures are the fist cylinder head cut half pictures in Internet after Piers originals back in 2005.

More pictures with measurements will follow..

What You have done to my cylinder head ? :soap::soap:
:lolly:

No problem, I have still 9 Cummins 12V cylinder heads in the shelf, good to have some extra parts available.

I think those pictures are the fist cylinder head cut half pictures in Internet after Piers originals back in 2005.

More pictures with measurements will follow..

This happens when you bring your stuff to my place :badidea: :D:D

They sure didn't make very large ports from what I see. First time seeing a port of one of these heads, thanks for posting! I will be keeping an eye on this thread.

Has anyone measured the CCs and other dimensions on these? Possibly have a picture of the intake ports with the box cut off?

I also start my porting job, but I found out Brazil and USA head have differend intake swirl design

Brazil head have very sharp edge :
attachment.php

And USA have round edge
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here is visual difference between exhaust port and gasket
attachment.php

Attachments

• usa3.JPG
    usa3.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 0
  • usa2.JPG
    usa2.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 0
  • usa.JPG
    usa.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 0
  • brazil.JPG
    brazil.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 0
  • tihend.JPG
    tihend.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 0
Which one is better design?

That's a good bit of material to remove on the exhaust side.

Which one is better design?

That's a good bit of material to remove on the exhaust side.

Brazil Cast will be more driveable. They swirl much harder than the IH cast with the right portwork. They do flow a few cfm short of the IH cast heads but not enough to make a noticeable difference. Personally, I like the Brazil cast for overall performance builds.

Brazil Cast will be more driveable. They swirl much harder than the IH cast with the right portwork. They do flow a few cfm short of the IH cast heads but not enough to make a noticeable difference. Personally, I like the Brazil cast for overall performance builds.

Any proof to this assumption?

I think there are certain things assumed way too much with not enough proof to back it up

Piers had this on his site 10 years ago, the head sucks and I love 12V's but it is designed to cool not flow. Imagine the power if you had a head that would flow 400 cfm like B/B chevy!

Jim

Back