Cutting Coil Springs; Educate Me Please

dieselduck

06 QCSB 4x4, wanting to drop the front around 1". I have read the lowering threads about using a cutoff wheel and starting at a half of a coil. Here's my question, if you cut off the top or bottom "ring" (complete circle) you will have a spring that goes to a single point. That point would hit the top cup at only one point, and I would think bind the spring sideways. Am I missing something here or is this what happens once a coil is cut down? Is the only right way to do this, by having new coils made?

either top or bottom of the stock coil most likely looks that way already.

Yep, you could cut the end at an angle so it goes a little flatter if you want. When you put it back in, the weight of the truck will hold it, just keep an eye on it as you slowly put weight on it.

i cut my coil and you can jack the truck up off the axle and the spring will come right out so u may want to put limiting straps on

u might try heating up the top coil after what u have cut off and knock it down a bit so it doesnt come to a point. I would think that would be alright as long as you let it cool slowly and didn't dip it in water

u might try heating up the top coil after what u have cut off and knock it down a bit so it doesnt come to a point. I would think that would be alright as long as you let it cool slowly and didn't dip it in water

Dead wrong....heating the spring will change the temper of the steel and that spring will likely break. Never put a torch on a spring.

yeah unbroken is right though u aren't suppose to. but its worked fine for me thus far. think i cut mine back in 08 or so and haven't had any problems with them. I figured if they break so what cheap part to replace

I cut about 1/2 a coil out of mine a few months ago and havent had an issue. The spring sits pretty straight with weight on it. I used a portable band saw.

I cut 2 coils out of mine. I used a very thin disk on my grinder. Be careful of heat

yeah unbroken is right though u aren't suppose to. but its worked fine for me thus far. think i cut mine back in 08 or so and haven't had any problems with them. I figured if they break so what cheap part to replace
The safety of you and those around you?

Back