Cyl head torging questions

Jim Fulmer

Ok I ran into an issue today that I have never head of! Cummins specs are 67 lbs short bolts and 89 lbs long bolts for the final torque then 90 degree turn but we all do our studs that same.

The 01's project block was decked and it was pulled up around the short bolts holes, the machinist said this is why we have leaks on that side at times.....what your ideas on it, torque to a different spec on the short bolts or all the same.....remember this is a 12V.

Jim

0-100 in 3 steps and 100-150 in 5lb increments on well lubed parts for them all. That seemed to be the majority in the shop tonite with Myself, Grotman, Redstroke, jerrodglover, and smokinrod.

Thanks Chris, I could see were he was coming from as there is not as much meat on that side. Tell everyone I said hey.

Jim

With the head studs on my 24v should i back the nut off and run it the nut down in 5lb increments, or don't worry about backing the nut off and just increase it 5lbs.

If all the studs are at the same torque already than just start going up with the 5 lb increments.

on a cold re torque are you backing all the way off lube and retorque to spec or just re verfying?????

What about adding torque to bolts that already have been run for 150K miles?
Guess you would have to back off & lube them first.

If you made it 150k without a problem, why worry about them now?

More fuel,more boost,more horsepower than the last 143,000 were.

Interesting phone conversation on this topic, seems as though some companies have not even though of the little things, then there are dummy's like me that look at there instructions and not even think about how cummins specs are so different and raise the question.

Bottom line is this, when the guy doing your machine work tells you what is happening to your block you might want to think about it, he had to deck it alot to clean it up. Now I have a .020 block that is flat on the top and bores are squared.

Jim

Jim did your machine shop use a torque plate when they honed the block?
This is also very critical when torqueing the headstuds to 150ftlbs. due the block distortion that occurs.

What about adding torque to bolts that already have been run for 150K miles?
Guess you would have to back off & lube them first.

What did you end up doing on this situation.....I am in the exact place right now! Did you back off and re-torque or just go in check spec, bring it to spec if needed and then start torqueing!

Thanks!!

Hey Adam where did you get your plate or did you make it?

I got mine from BHJ. BHJ made us the first one ever produced for the aftermarket, except the Chrysler corporation.

Makes you feel good to know that Chrysler was good enough to use a TQ plate on their Cummins remans. They bought in 1999. We didnt until 2002

I believe it was in the 1K range. It has the spacers for 12 and 24V engine bolt length.

Different length bolts will stretch at a different rate. This is why Cummins has a funky TQ sequence for the 12V head bolts.

Let me know how much you want for one Chris..

Back