Cylinder Head

mykal41

TrukWurks
I am looking for a little guidance on this. Pulled my head and dropped it at the machine shop. Machinist called to let me know during the magnaflux he found a good amount of cracking around the seats.

I set out on a search for a new head. I am told that all the Cummins reman heads will have the same small cracks. I was advised to get the new casting Cummins China head bare and build it here.

Spoke with Jeff today, He informed me that the new head is not available. Back order.

Does anyone have a line on a new head? Or any real world info on the Cummins China head?

Thanks in advance...

I would think you'd have the option of doing oversize valve seats unless the parent material is too cracked. It cost $700 the last time I quoted it.

Small cracks are normal even cummins said it was still serviceable. Unless your pumping out huge numbers just run it if there are no big cracks. Anything made in China is garbage right out of the box! Can't wait to hear about all the head failures on this one!
Just my two cents others will comment I'm sure!

Sorry but saying "anything made in china is garbage right out of the box" is extremely incorrect.

Sorry but saying "anything made in china is garbage right out of the box" is extremely incorrect.

I'd love for the parts coming out of China to be good at least but my experience has been failure, off by a little, junk metal, and plain garbage.
This is not just truck parts but everything that comes from there! Remember how bad Made in Taiwan was! So is the bare head from china a good piece?
Just a raw casting that needs to be machined or does it have valve seats and guides? What's the cost?

No to be a stick in the mud here Dangerous but look at the next head gasket you buy from Cummins and see what it says.

This on your cr or the 12v?

If the 12v, hamiltons heads are very reasonable at this point in time and dont take much work to be street ready.

The larger valves are not an option here. After calling around all day, nobody has a new bare head. It's crazy to think we have no options.

The larger valves are not an option here. After calling around all day, nobody has a new bare head. It's crazy to think we have no options.

A bare casting is available for the 6.7 engine. It has some extra steam holes between the cylinders, and I think maybe a difference in injector hold down. I can not say it will work for sure, but maybe there is someone out there that's done it.

I didn't recommend larger valves, I recommended oversize valve seats.

I misunderstood you, sorry. I will call now and check on the option for oversized seats.

I misunderstood you, sorry. I will call now and check on the option for oversized seats.
No problem. Your machine shop may not offer them. I'm not sure if mine sources them from Cummins or aftermarket.

Blackwater engines is where i got my head from a few months ago, i got tired of F'n around with "good" heads. I had it drop shipped directly to Joker Fab to finish extras

I'd love for the parts coming out of China to be good at least but my experience has been failure, off by a little, junk metal, and plain garbage.

This is not just truck parts but everything that comes from there! Remember how bad Made in Taiwan was! So is the bare head from china a good piece?

Just a raw casting that needs to be machined or does it have valve seats and guides? What's the cost?

iPhones and iPads do pretty good being from china.

Sent via USPS 2 weeks ago

If your machine shop, cummins or Snedge can't source the seats for you I'd get a hold of Mountain High Performance in CO. I know they have them for oversized valves for sure but I'd be willing to bet they have oversized for factory valves also.

Blackwater engines is where i got my head from a few months ago, i got tired of F'n around with "good" heads. I had it drop shipped directly to Joker Fab to finish extras

I sent an email to Blackwater today. Thanks

If your machine shop, cummins or Snedge can't source the seats for you I'd get a hold of Mountain High Performance in CO. I know they have them for oversized valves for sure but I'd be willing to bet they have oversized for factory valves also.

I will reach out to Mountain High as well today. Thank you for the suggestion.

Another place to contact is Midwest Cylinder Head in Nevada, IA. The phone # is 800-873-8506.

Back