Dana 70 popping. Video

SuperDave4x4

popcorn playa
Does anyone have an idea on what's goin on? Only does it if the wheels are locked to the left or the right and in reverse.

[ame]http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p449/SuperDave4x4/D70RearEnd_zps7199404e.mp4[/ame]

Sounds like when my LS diff ran low on oil. New oil and clutch modifier helped cure that.

Is it a posi? I wonder if the spider gears are broken, it usually binds up more for those though.

Is it a posi? I wonder if the spider gears are broken, it usually binds up more for those though.

Rear end was rebuilt about 900 miles ago. Been popping since then. I changed the oil the other day and didn't find anything abnormal on the magnet.

It is a posi.

When it was rebuilt he put 8oz in it and that's what it called for. Now I out Royal Purple Max gear in it and was told by RP that I should not need any extra FM, however it needed it. The clutches were grabby so I added some to it until I added the full 7oz tube, but it did nothing for the popping. I may get some more FM if the clutches still grab. I'm about to head out and do some tight slow figure 8s shortly.

Time to pull the cover and the carrier and take a look.

Time to pull the cover and the carrier and take a look.

What does it take to pull the carrier?

The guy that rebuilt it can't get to my truck for two weeks. I have no vacation and can't afford another rental car for another two weeks like it did the last time he'd had it.

Just pulled a rabbit out of my hat. My parents still have an 2001 sport trac and they are gonna bring it here to La from Ga to let me drive until my truck gets figured out. Now I just need to call the shop and ell him he can have my truck when ever he gets freed up.

It's really easy to pull the carrier. I would first pull the oil out and put in new gear oil with friction modifier. If that doesn't work then pull the axle shafts out, take off the the diff cover, pull the main caps and the carrier damn near fall out.

It's really easy to pull the carrier. I would first pull the oil out and put in new gear oil with friction modifier. If that doesn't work then pull the axle shafts out, take off the the diff cover, pull the main caps and the carrier damn near fall out.

I just put new fluid in it Saturday. Royal purple with friction modifier already in it then added 7oz of FM because the clutches were grabby. There aren't as grabby now but still some there. The popping hasn't stopped though. Only does it now if I back up with the front tires turned locked to the right.

All it takes is a 9/16 for the axle shafts and cover. 3/4 for the main caps. 9/16 for the bolt that hold the carrier together. May need an impact or cordless impact to pull the bolts on the carrier.

I just pulled mine yesterday in close to 10 min on the ground without a lift. Very simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All it takes is a 9/16 for the axle shafts and cover. 3/4 for the main caps. 9/16 for the bolt that hold the carrier together. May need an impact or cordless impact to pull the bolts on the carrier.

I just pulled mine yesterday in close to 10 min on the ground without a lift. Very simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, but if I had someone "fix" my diff and it started popping, I wouldn't be touching it at all.

My 70 was making some similar noises, then chit came flying out through the cover. I never looked at it, I put a 80 in.

Came flying out eh? Words of encouragement. Haha

Yeah it will go back to the shop. I just hope I get my spare ride very very soon.

I noticed it made different noises and started leaking. Ran it about another 100 miles till I put the 80 in.

It's only doing it in turns ? or going straight also ? which posi do you have ? sounds like a broken power lock which is common..

The video isn't working for me.

Back