dana 70u behind 47rh?

jamesl

elbows deep
I currently have a 3.54 rear and have been thinking about picking up a complete dana 70u rear end from a buddy that has a 3.08 gear in it to put behind my 47rh. Has anyone done this? I'm looking to get my cruise rpm down some on the highway with my 95 shorty reg cab 2wd. When I went to a 275 tire and started lowering it it seems like its revving pretty hard to keep up with interstate traffic. the only problem i have run into is replacement gear sets as it looks as if the 3.08's are no longer made? are there any other gear options numerically smaller than a 3.54 for a standard dana 70?

thanks

James

Have you run the BOM number to confirm your diff? I the one I have from a 2001 truck is a D70U.

Have you run the BOM number to confirm your diff? I the one I have from a 2001 truck is a D70U.

no i haven't. From searching around it seems that only the 89-93 dodge trucks came with the 70u and 3.08 gear. (at least thats what this one is out of) I could be completely wrong though. If there are gear choices available lower than a 3.54 for a 70 I would also entertain that.

looks like the rear im looking at is a dana 71 rear axle with a 3.08 gear

There is very limited parts availability for the dana 71. Just try to find a new gear for it. The ring was physically larger than normal and is discontinued.

I thought you could get a 3.31 gear. Apparently that is only for a dana 80.

Dana 70 is limited to 3.55's dana 80 however...

looked at the dana 80 option also and the lowest gear available for them is a 3.31 and for the cost/benefit I dont see it being worth it. Looked into the gear vendors setup but that's some pretty big coin with having to change the trans over to 4wd and all. guess its back to the drawing board...

Back