Dana 80 driveshaft?

jktcummins

24v GOD!!!! HAHAHA
I know this is a stupid question but I'm not around my truck and I need to get my driveshaft shortened tommorow so I can get my dana80 swap finished this weekend. How much does it need to be shortened on a ex cab auto going from a 70 to an 80. Everyone says about an inch. Well is that exactly an inch or what? If I was going to have the time I would measure it then get it cut but I'm not going to have time. And I am going with 1480 pinion yoke and yoke on driveshaft if that makes a difference.
Thanks in advance.

Well if the 70 is 1410 then that is another measurement to figure in...

However, if i tell you 2" and it's wrong and you have no time, now you wasted more time having to get it redone and money to do that over too...

Send someone to measure the truck and forward that to the driveline shop if you can't....
Otherwise.... i can't tell you how many times i seen this and then their/you are totally screwed...

Matter of fact just the other day...guy sends me a shaft for his chevelle....tells me copy that make it in AL......then he never checked to see with his new pin yoke it doesn't fit.... But he doesn't try to instal to sat morning and im closed....

My fault was listening to him and not making him measure it....but technically it wasn't my fault, but these things happen all the time...

Send a friend over to measure it for you....

i put an 80 in the rear of my truck out of an 02...

bolted right up, didn't need a new D-shaft

I have a dld and just swapped in a d 80 with no driveshaft change....I believe the dhd transfer case with d80 needs shortened.

LAVON

well the driveline shop here in town was suppose to have all 1480 stuff to build me a onepiece shaft for it and the parts never showed up. Fixing to put the old shaft back in it today so i guess we will see what it needs.

Well note to self. Dont get in a rush. LOL I ended up having the driveshaft shop here in town take off 1" before i could get down and measure it for sure. Well today i went to install the saft that must have been 38" originally and cut down too 37". It was still to long. Luckly i had a older 24valve dually tore down and just used that drive shaft it was 36" and fit just right. All that to just test drive the new setup.

i have a 7" lift though.... so that may have had something to do with it

Well note to self. Dont get in a rush. LOL I ended up having the driveshaft shop here in town take off 1" before i could get down and measure it for sure. Well today i went to install the saft that must have been 38" originally and cut down too 37". It was still to long. Luckly i had a older 24valve dually tore down and just used that drive shaft it was 36" and fit just right. All that to just test drive the new setup.

lol i said 2"....

I just did my 02 and I cut out 1.9in out the original shaft. Going from dana 70 to 80, short bed, 2in lift and automatic.

Back