Dana 80 Question

1pieceatatime.

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Ive got an 02, Dana 80 Drw, Disc brake, 3.54 ratio that needs a spindle end. What im finding is that this thing is an odd duck as the housings were specific to 3.54 and 4.11. Does anyone know if the spindles are specific to DRW and SRW trucks? And if they are specific to Disk or drum trucks? Or even if a ford spindle end is the same?

Ive got an 02, Dana 80 Drw, Disc brake, 3.54 ratio that needs a spindle end. What im finding is that this thing is an odd duck as the housings were specific to 3.54 and 4.11. Does anyone know if the spindles are specific to DRW and SRW trucks? And if they are specific to Disk or drum trucks? Or even if a ford spindle end is the same?

My notes show me that the hubs for the trucks that year are 3500 model specific. Not the same as the 2500. Also, the reason the housings are different is because of the way the gear-set is designed, I think. (Someone I am sure could verify that better.) Thin cut gears vs. thick cut gears.

What exactly happened to the truck? Bearings go bad and eat away at the end of the axle housing? Depending on the extent of the damage, if it is in fact damage to the end of the axle housing, some machine shops have started to specialize in such repair. But, be prepare to pay for the work.

Also, the parts fit 2001-2002 only. And, the rear hubs fit 2 and 4 wheel drive alike. For 2001 Model year, verify truck used for parts had disc brakes. 2002 model year doesn't matter.

What's a "spindle"?

I hear this often in the parts business, people calling it a spindle. I think mainly because the hub and bearings ride on this piece that normally goes bad. Since the front of a truck/car has a 'spindle' that the hub rides in, it just gets re-used.

My notes show me that the hubs for the trucks that year are 3500 model specific. Not the same as the 2500. Also, the reason the housings are different is because of the way the gear-set is designed, I think. (Someone I am sure could verify that better.) Thin cut gears vs. thick cut gears.

What exactly happened to the truck? Bearings go bad and eat away at the end of the axle housing? Depending on the extent of the damage, if it is in fact damage to the end of the axle housing, some machine shops have started to specialize in such repair. But, be prepare to pay for the work.

Also, the parts fit 2001-2002 only. And, the rear hubs fit 2 and 4 wheel drive alike. For 2001 Model year, verify truck used for parts had disc brakes. 2002 model year doesn't matter.

I hear this often in the parts business, people calling it a spindle. I think mainly because the hub and bearings ride on this piece that normally goes bad. Since the front of a truck/car has a 'spindle' that the hub rides in, it just gets re-used.

The difference in the housings is the postion of the tone ring because the 3.54s and down would be a different carrier than 4.11s and up.

The customer ran it until the spindle wound up a pile of slag in the hub and it twisted the axle shaft off. I work in a machine shop and we repair the spindle ends on rear ends somewhat frequently. However, this spindle is toast, and i was hoping to find the guy a housing, or another housing to steal a spindle off of rather than making a spindle from scratch to repair this housing.

Im guessing hubs are 3500 specific because of the DRW. But if the spindle portion of the axle housing is the same from 2500-3500 or SRW to DRW that opens up a larger window of what i have to choose from as far as finding a spindle. I suspect the bearings are further apart on a dually rear.

If i have to make one, i have to make one, but it will be much easier and cheaper to find a spindle to replace this one.

Im thinking maybe a cab and chassis hub would be the same, so maybe a cab and chassis spindle would be the same as well?

Im thinking maybe a cab and chassis hub would be the same, so maybe a cab and chassis spindle would be the same as well?

When I look up the rear ends, I have an option for Cab/Chassis. If I look up the hubs by themselves (as I don't have an option for 'spindle' on a rear end), I don't have an option for cab/chassis. So, it may be possible to use the parts from a cab/chassis housing as the only difference should be the width of the rear ends and not the parts. This is based on a part interchange system, not an autozone/discount auto parts system.

Nobody has any other insight to offer?

Since these rear ends were only used two years, and the parts are also only two years, I feel it is going to be very tough. Maybe one of the pullers on here has a spare laying around and could manage to let it go.

When I look up the rear ends, I have an option for Cab/Chassis. If I look up the hubs by themselves (as I don't have an option for 'spindle' on a rear end), I don't have an option for cab/chassis. So, it may be possible to use the parts from a cab/chassis housing as the only difference should be the width of the rear ends and not the parts. This is based on a part interchange system, not an autozone/discount auto parts system.

Since these rear ends were only used two years, and the parts are also only two years, I feel it is going to be very tough. Maybe one of the pullers on here has a spare laying around and could manage to let it go.

Got a chance to get the hub off the good end, made a drawing off the Bearing/seal surface etc. Based on the dimensions, i believe the bearings and seals are all an equal distance on drw and srw, the distance between the seal surface and backing plate mount are whats different. And i think 01-02 hubs are only unique because of the disk brakes?

If i dont come up with a spindle by monday, were just going to make one from scratch and put it on.

the housing is not different between the 3.55 and 4.10. its just the carrier.

C/C trucks were duallys but the rear was narrower. atleast from what ive read.

thats what i have to add!

I have a 2002 Dana 80 disc rear axle here that has a broken driver side spindle but the passenger side is fine.

298728_10151402199643662_9276858_n.jpg

377248_10151402199918662_131553304_n.jpg

Let me know if my parts will help you out.

What gears???

I have a 2002 Dana 80 disc rear axle here that has a broken driver side spindle but the passenger side is fine.

298728_10151402199643662_9276858_n.jpg

377248_10151402199918662_131553304_n.jpg

Let me know if my parts will help you out.

What gears? If 3:54 I may buy them. Thanks

Back