dancing speedo?

jamesl

elbows deep
just purchased truck and trying to diagnose intermittent bouncing/floating/dancing speedo issue i have been having. I cleaned all grounds, checked connections at trans and cluster. truck is a 95 2wd 12 valve, before i start just replacing parts has anyone else ran into this? searched to no avail...

here is a video...

http://youtu.be/b4Mn7X7xBeY

My 98 24valve did that but worse, it was the speed sensor.

Posted to CumminsForum via autoguide for iphone.

My 98 24valve did that but worse, it was the speed sensor.

My 24v did the same thing as yours, it turned out to be a broken wire near the leaf spring perch, every bump I hit it would break the connection. But mine would dance from 120-0-90-10-120-100-30-etc. Speed sensor made no difference in my truck. I found it by having my dad sit in the seat, I'd go wiggle the harness, he'd yell at me when the light would come on. Kept repeating until I found the break, was able to solder it back together.

I thought it was wiring at first, i rewired the whole thing and it made no difference. Mine eventually quit working all together. I order a sensor from genos and its been fine ever since.

ok i guess i try a new speed sensor first. its getting worse and starting to read slower than what my gps is showing by almost 15mph. when the truck is close to lock up and od it kinda makes it hunt in and out of gear with light throttle, lock up and od is controlled via pcm correct? if the sensor is acting up will this do what im experiencing?

Back