Dap governor spring install

Ram12vcummins

Well I got bored this afternoon an was a good warm day up here. And like most hillbillies I decide to pull my afc apart and try do some mods. 98 12v with nv4500 behind it. I ground the washer down on the diaphragm, and ground the back part of the foot for more travel. Adjusted star wheel to full travel at 40 psi. No I want to adjust the fuel plate but I'm at a loss on what I should do. Grind or just slide ahead as far as I can for the time being. I don't have any gauges installed yet. But truck will not be pulling anything or working hard until I do either. I also have a set of dap 3/4ks spring kit which I wanted 3ks for the truck so I didn't have to do valve springs. But it its comes 3/4ks. No instructions and the salesman at dap didn't know I guess and avoid my questions on how to install for 3ks. I have read on here that if only wanting 3ks then installing 4ks but less "clicks" I guess is better than a straight 3. Sorry for the long winded bs but hopefully I can get better direction from you guys.

Grind the plate flat. Honestly I would just install the 4ks, you don't have to use them necessarily.

What you probably read is to install 5ks loose for 4ks.

Measure stud protrusion. It is hard to say what kit you are installing too. Some remove shims under the springs and some do not. Post a picture would probably be the best for everyone to help you.

Last edited:
Just take out the fuel plate, run the 4k springs. Unless you run alot of timing like 25 or more its not gonna.want to rev much past 3000 under a load. I've run 5k springs with stock valve springs before because I liked the way they ran with no issues. I would never turn it past about 3200 because it didn't make power there with the timing it had.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461110070.091892.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461110080.419544.jpg

Here's the kit I got from dap. I'm running stock timing for now 13.5 degrees.

So I measure the stud protrusion on the stock spring before I remove them? Remove all springs and install this kit with same protrusion? What do you recommend for turning motor over to acces springs? Just starter? I've got the baring tool here if I can get it by everything.

Grind the stock plate flat isn't going to be too much fuel? Or just leaving the plate out?

The plate is adjustable in the pump regardless. You can leave it out but you have no gauges so.. turn the engine with the alternator nut. Measure protrusion before disassembly.

When you remove the arm for the shutoff solenoid do not lose the woodruff key!! Bump timing to 16 to 18.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461114750.281121.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1461114788.851993.jpg

Look empty? 4 springs an 2 lower seat and one shim. Sounds right? Now I put in the new lower seat? An the 3 springs plus the large one from the stock set? An the shim? Does it go back?

The shim is questionable to me. I would pm ctdyounggun (Seth ). It's been awhile since I've messed with gov springs. Did you use a pencil magnet to verify you got all the shims? Sometimes the oil film creates a suction. Edit. I see he is viewing the thread. Bet he chimes in.

Last edited:
Ya if he doesn't I'll send him a message. I've got one pump on the way to him already for rebuild.

I used a magnet yes. It's a larger head magnet though I was able to get it between the governor weights and the stud just not sure if it went a the way down. It's hard to tell where the shim come from but if I'm not mistaken I believe it was between the sring an the first bottom seat

I'm running dap 4K springs. DO NOT remove any shims under the biggest outside springs. There's no reason to even remove those springs.
And I didn't measure stud protrusion either. Just go by clicks. Mine runs as smooth as stock and I didn't have to adjust the idle.

I only found one shim? An it appears to be the size of the smallest spring. It is on the right in the picture.

i should add that you won't reuse any shims that were on that first seat, just below the stock governor springs. Just use the seats that came with the kit, no shims on those.

So no shims go back in is what I understand then? I intall the large stock spring with the three inside. The only shim I found was pretty sure below the springs on top of the stock bottom seat.

The other side should be identical right?

I'll install this side back tomorrow and if other side matches then I guess I didn't forget any shims. If it's different then maybe I'll have to spin it back over and take it apart.

No shims on the inner 3 springs. Only the 3 springs and lower seat on each side. The outermost spring (idle spring) and it's shims are left alone. Set stud protrusion at .040-.060"

Thanks. I didn't notice any shims on outside spring. Hopefully didn't fall down. I need to find a smaller magnet. Stud protrusion on the first set was at .052" stock

Back