Dead Batts & Charging Question

Ramprat

Went out yesterday to start the truck and it was dead :bang :bang

She's been sitting for 3-3.5 weeks as I've been taking the motorcycle everywhere saving on the fuel costs Could not find anything left on except a mag charger flashlight plugged into the cig lighter. Have not driving the truck much this summer but did make a couple nice high speed runs earlier to Vail and back.

Anywhoo, went and check the batteries making sure they were clean, full of water (distilled) & made sure they are clean & no grounds are loose.

Now I've got the 10 amp charger on the passenger side battery charging it at a full 10 amps.

Since I've never had to do this before I've got a question. As the truck has dual batteries (97 F250) will this charge both batts slowly but surely giving me enough juice to start the truck, or will I need to actually unhook the batts and charge em separately???

Best bet is to charge them separate. This can help you find a battery with a dead cell. You can charge them together all day long and if one of the batteries has a dead cell or 2 in it it will never let you crank the truck. Each fully charged battery should be 12.6 volts. 6 2.1volt cells. The battery should not drop below 10 volts while cranking for 15 seconds. So if either batt is putting out 7 volts or something then replace both of them. Since batteries wired in parallel without a separator will try to charge each other keeping them the same age helps out tremendously.

Back