Dealer removed studs

jwfrauts

My Dad has an 05' powerstroke that has already blown the headgaskets once (stock) he took it to the dealer and they installed the headstuds for him. It just blew the gaskets again at around 8000 miles on the new gaskets (stock still) He took it to another dealer and the idiots took the studs out saying that they would void the warranty. We didn't even know it. I went to pick the truck up for him and the dealer didn't say anything about it. I left the dealer and went to get something to eat. I popped the hood at the burger place and the studs were gone. I called the service writer that I know and she didn't know anything about it. So I don't know if he took them out to sell and didn't think we would notice or what. My Dad is highly ticked and has gone all the way to the owner of the dealer. The mechanic put the studs in a box and when asked about it he brought them to the service writer.
My Dad is not through and seeing if there is anything he can do. He is calling a lawyer. The truck is an 05' and has had headgaskets replaced twice and the egr cooler 3 times. Truck is 100% stock except a stock straight exhaust.
Sorry so long just upset.

I thought you had to remove the valve cover to see the bolts? or am I completely off the map?

Gotta have good eyes to see the valve cover let alone the studs under it.

I thought you had to remove the valve cover to see the bolts? or am I completely off the map?

Some are visible outside the valve covers. You can see those just by popping the hood and looking.

That sucks!! I would definitely get an attorney involved. Did they resurface the heads the first time or even check for warpage? Might be the cause of the second HG problem. Also, some techs don't know to torque the head studs to ARP Specs and not Fords. Quite a bit of difference if I recall. The ARP's should be torqued much tighter.

:hehe::umno:

The STUDS are only used on the 10 spots that are under the valve covers.
You still have to use the bolts for the rest...
Don't go off on the mechanic till you check for sure.$.02

Not to mention ..... if they have been trq'd and heat cycled etc ..... should you not be getting a new set?

They'll handle many more times than 10. I'd be screwed if that were the case. :hehe:

:hehe::umno:

The STUDS are only used on the 10 spots that are under the valve covers.
You still have to use the bolts for the rest...
Don't go off on the mechanic till you check for sure.$.02

Huh? Am I learning something new here? Bolts and Studs? :doh:

I guess this is why I am NOT a diesel mechanic. :hehe::hehe: Guess it was darker in that Del Taco I pulled over an popped the hood in than I thought. Spotted this all covered in what appeared to be a protective gel and assumed it was a head stud. I supposed not since that is aluminum underneath. :doh:

So how can anyone who didn't actually see them installed know they have head studs? What bolts are they using in conjunction with the studs? New? Used? Not feeling too good about my install now . . .

Last edited:
Back