Dealership AC "Quote"

Dad's bored right now so he's been hauling away scrap off the farm for a few weeks now, only 45 mile round trip. he's been complaining about the AC not keeping up, not out of the ordinary as he's always got something to complain about.
Ive replaced AC stuff on semis but never pick up trucks, only added Freon and checked gauges.

He calls me from the local dealership, he got tired of being hot so he took it in. they've diagnosed a bad compressor, not surprised.
he then asks whether or not to have them do it, $1,410 is start-finish.

No way we are going to pay that much $ for a job like that. Parts can't be more than $500 for me to do it.

So now my question, as I've never messed around with truck applications, is there special tools required to remove hozes or anything?
i'm going to look at rockauto to see what a compressor/accumulator costs but It can't be more than $500?

Did mine in my 98 over 2 yrs ago. Everything but the evaporator. Very easy to do, stay clean and make sure it holds a good vac. Mine is still ice cold

I just replaced everything on my 05 minus evaporator because it was changed recently when dash was out. Condenser, compressor, orifice line, accumulator, two cans of flush, and freon cost me about $530 from auto parts.

I strongly recommend replacing the condenser if your compressor is bad and making shavings.

What year is his truck? Any 2006-2009 Dodge that gets a/c compressor kit in my shop gets a new Hayden fan clutch, also. They are notorious for causing compressor failure (between them and TIPM issues). We have a local Parts Plus that carries the 4 Seasons lifetime kits. They don't cost much more and give you lifetime warranty. To me, it's a no brainer. If any metal is in the system, replace condenser (if you're unsure, cut the orifice tube out and take a look). Flush thru the evap with some chemical and catch what comes out to see how dirty it is.

The only special tools would be a/c line disconnect tools and fan clutch wrench.

Is the compressor trying to cycle at all or is it completely dead? The TIPM won’t let the compressor fire if it thinks there is too much draw. I wired in a relay to fool the TIPM. It ran that way until I sold it a couple years later.

Back