Deck plates

Bryce418

I was just reading 01ppump's for sale thread and there was mention of deck plates.

So instead of whoring up his thread I'm asking here, what is the set up for running them? I get the reason for moving the combustion event out of the cast cylinder to the deck plate, I am wondering do you run something like a flat top piston, also how thick is the plate?

I tried searching, I found very little useful info both here and google.

Are liners used with deck plates? Or are different pistons used and the plate used as a combustion chamber?

There is a lot to learn about this from the tractor world.

Picture the deckplate as an extension of the cylinder. Place the deckplate on the deck. Now put a sleeve through the deckplate into the existing cylinder within the block. There is a lot of machining involved especially on a block that is not "sleeved" already, but that is basically what has to happen. Diesel applications retain the combustion chamber in the piston.

Thanks, that pretty much is how I have seen all the deck plates work in the world of gassers.

I was wondering if it was set up as a combustion chamber outside the block (ie. something sub 10mm thick and run a flat top piston), I see plenty of issues with doing that but I have also seen some crazy stuff done and work out before.

Back