Decked head: How much is too much

Tate

What?
When talking about your 188/220 cam, you say it's a drop in as long as both the head and block haven't been surfaced. Is there a tolerance on that, or is it zero surfacing allowed. My head was decked .008", block is stock, stock gasket back in. AFAIK, the valves haven't been recessed at all to make up for the material removal. I like the sounds of the 188/220 cam, but if it won't work, then I'll be looking at the 181/210.

I BELIEVE it will work... but as zach has said before.... its always best to check out the tolerances for the best info

When talking about your 188/220 cam, you say it's a drop in as long as both the head and block haven't been surfaced. Is there a tolerance on that, or is it zero surfacing allowed. My head was decked .008", block is stock, stock gasket back in. AFAIK, the valves haven't been recessed at all to make up for the material removal. I like the sounds of the 188/220 cam, but if it won't work, then I'll be looking at the 181/210.

Same here, but I haven´t a slightest idea how much the head is decked...
Is there a way I can check how much it had been decked or how much clearence there is? Can I modify the 12V headgasket to fit the 24V head so I can run a 0,010 thicker headgasket for example??

You might be able to fit it in without offsetting it. At worst with so little taken off you might need to retard it a degree.

Ideally, put a thicker head gasket so that you can leave it advanced where it wants to be. If you use a thicker headgasket, be sure to recess the injectors by the same amount.

Zach

What effects would retarding the cam a degree be? Its a daily driver, better off with the 181/210?

Retarding the cam typically slows spool which would be knocking off a bit of the bottom end but not by much. We suggest the 181/210 for truck that redline at 4,000-4200 like the cr's with a tnt'r. The 188/220 spools hard but gives up a little bit in the efficiency dept. and will carry out a little further.

Zach

curious if you have to adjust the pushrod length if you mill the deck of the block and the head? Has anyone checked to see if the rocker still sitting in the middle of the valve throughout the low and high lift points of the cam lobe.

Back