Did I get screwed?

jambbii

milk
So I bought a package deal off a member here. Part of it was a 24v head with very low miles that had 6k on it. Supposidly it had been checked for cracks, but it did have large valves, double springs, new valve guides and o rings. I bought it sight unseen. Paide 150 bucks to get it shipped here. As soon as it arrived it had some surface rust on it (was packaged correctly) . Adressed this issue with the seller and he said it should clean up no problem. Didn't think much of it because I was going to tear the head apart and do some porting anyways.

So I get the intake milled off then proceed to clean up the head. I find over 30 cracks (well at least visible) After learning about the tendancies of these heads a lot of them I would have cared less about. A couple large ones caught my eye. The on in the pic (not sure if it will show up on this) is large enought to stick a finger nail in. After taking it to two machine shops (one said they wouldn't even try to repair it) Then I got it pressure tested. It leaks in about 10 places. I was told it will be about 900 to repair all of th damage. So I paid about 1500 for the head, 150 for the shipping, 160 for the intake getting milled off ( willing to take this loss) for a grand total of 1810 invested in a garbage head.

I have kept the sell updated with all of this. He returned all of my calls and pm's until about last week after I got it pressure tested. I really can't afford to buy another head or get this one fixed. I see him posting on here multiple times a day but is not responding to me. I know he did not know of this damage before, but I don't think I should be the one paying for a garbage head.

Josh

Attachments

• headcrack.jpg
    headcrack.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 174
If it was damaged in shipping go after the shipper, as long as it was insured and valued properly. If not the seller should have seen something like that and known that it was not a good head.

Honestly I don't think he did see anything. If I told you why the truck was being parted out I would give the seller away, but I am thinking that is part of the reason there is this many cracks.

What are the marks around the valve seat? Looks like someone was picking at the crack?

What are the marks around the valve seat? Looks like someone was picking at the crack?

Thats how it looked after I pulled it out of the bead blaster. To me it looks like corrosion. It is super deep.

How could anyone miss a crack like that, even you when you were hacking off the intake?

How could anyone miss a crack like that, even you when you were hacking off the intake?

I didnt even pull the head apart until the intake was chopped off (didn't have the spring compressor at the time)

It is not a total loss, the valves and springs are good but I don't think I should take the brunt of the hit. I bought a supposidly good head, not something that needs 900 dollars worth of work. I am willing to work with the seller if HE WILL CONTACT ME.

I was worried this thread was going to be about an exhaust manifold... Sure glad it's not! Lol

Just a kidding! :D

the seller should step up to the plate and offer up a compromise. In my opinion now that the head is not what it was sold as.

It depends on the sellers ethics. **** happens make the best of it.

been there done it , life goes on.

Judging from the cracks I can see in the pic they look like they would of been visable even with the valve in the head and surface rust

So this head has high dollar valves and springs in it correct? Are you saying the machine shop chopped the intake off and never disassembled it? Why was this head bead blasted?

Bud I feel your pain but something just don't add up. What were the rest of the parts like? How long have you had this thing?

Josh, I wish you the best of luck. It is nice that you are trying to keep the other party off the thread with I assume hopes of them reading about it and making something work out. But you know the next thing that will happen, once the name comes out then you will be roasted for being a jerk and bringing it up on the interwebby and yada yada yada. Hopefully the person you are dealing with is a better person that that. If you are playing the numbers, and from what I've seen on here lately, you are screwed, sorry. It is really hard for me to buy things site-unseen, it is pretty much buyer beware at that point.

So this head has high dollar valves and springs in it correct? Are you saying the machine shop chopped the intake off and never disassembled it? Why was this head bead blasted?

Bud I feel your pain but something just don't add up. What were the rest of the parts like? How long have you had this thing?

Long story short, my buddy chopped the intake off. I was going to pull the valves but I only have 12v tools laying around and didn't have anything that I could get the valves out. I didnt really care because I was going to clean everything after. I bead blasted it because I have a blasting cabinet in my garage. Rest of the parts where perfect...well after cleaning them.

I did take pictures the day I recieved the head just in case and this was about a month ago......

Josh, I wish you the best of luck. It is nice that you are trying to keep the other party off the thread with I assume hopes of them reading about it and making something work out. But you know the next thing that will happen, once the name comes out then you will be roasted for being a jerk and bringing it up on the interwebby and yada yada yada. Hopefully the person you are dealing with is a better person that that. If you are playing the numbers, and from what I've seen on here lately, you are screwed, sorry. It is really hard for me to buy things site-unseen, it is pretty much buyer beware at that point.

Thanks!

The worst part of this whole situation is I know the seller thought he was selling me a perfect head. I feel bad on his part, but then again, I work 14 hours a day 5 days a week. I don't have money to throw around. So now my truck is down for even longer. I sold a member here some dana 80 gears a while back. They got shipped out and he said that there was some issues with some nicks on the gears and his gear guy said that they were not usuable. Sent me some picks and I agreed. ( I did not box the gears up in the first place) Gave him his money back and left it at that. I answered all of his phone calls and pm's and never gave him the cold shoulder.

Hopefully this ends well :bang

Thanks!

The worst part of this whole situation is I know the seller thought he was selling me a perfect head. I feel bad on his part, but then again, I work 14 hours a day 5 days a week. I don't have money to throw around. So now my truck is down for even longer. I sold a member here some dana 80 gears a while back. They got shipped out and he said that there was some issues with some nicks on the gears and his gear guy said that they were not usuable. Sent me some picks and I agreed. ( I did not box the gears up in the first place) Gave him his money back and left it at that. I answered all of his phone calls and pm's and never gave him the cold shoulder.

Hopefully this ends well :bang
That's the kicker. I've been on both ends of buying something that wound up being not what was expected. I've never avoided/been avoided, and we always found a solution that made both parties happy, or at least not feel that they were taken advantage of.

That's the kicker. I've been on both ends of buying something that wound up being not what was expected. I've never avoided/been avoided, and we always found a solution that made both parties happy, or at least not feel that they were taken advantage of.

Yeah , it is always a plus when comunication lines stay open. I keep seeing him posting. Has not returned any pm's or my phone calls. :(

Yeah , it is always a plus when comunication lines stay open. I keep seeing him posting. Has not returned any pm's or my phone calls. :(

Call him out. That is what this part of the forum is for.

At the risk of being redundant. That head looks like crap.

Back