Diesel 57 Chevy?

'strokeThis_'07

Ok, I have a 57 Chevy BelAir, and was thinkin about a possible swap to diesel power. Why?? Cause Im addicted to diesel power (imagine that) and to be different (nothin like that around here.) Anyway, Id look into a CR Cummins (05) or possibly a Duramax. I know a Cummins can be put into everything, how about the DMax? Ive seen swaps done, but does anybody have an idea of which would fit better? Im well-aware of the mods necessary to do a major swap like this and know very well that it wouldnt be a drop in and go type deal. Obviously Id have to upgrade/change alot on the car (frame strengthening, stiffer front coils, driveline upgrades, etc.) Also, how about trans ideas. Id like a trans that would fit with minimal floorboard cutting, but also take the punishment of being tied to a diesel. So guys, I turn to you, what do yall think??

I think a Dmax conversion would be better suited- and not to mention pretty BADASS. You will have some floorpan modifications to do for sure...

Look in the For Sale Section there is a Duramax with a 2WD Allison Tranny for sale down there.

check out comp461's posts duramax is like a bbc. and a 4l80 bolts into yourcar. and from what i understand they work with any chevy trans.. cause the allison is friggin huge

what 24vriviera said, if you build a 4l80 it'll take the abuse. and its smaller than the ally. the dmax vans actually come with a 4l85e which is pretty much the same thing.

Joe

I agree the Duramax would fit much better and not require as much cutting.

you might contact PPE, they have done a few duramax swaps!

swap

That 57 chevy is worth a small fortune! Get another car or truck to do a swap, you could make major bucks selling that 57 and have a hell alot of money to work with!

dmax conversion probably cost a little more but they are so much more badass, like the chevelle they had in DP with the dmax, or orange crush.. everybody has a cummins conversion lol.. but not too many dmax's.. i think the magazine's will love it!!

I'm building a '67 rs camaro with an '06 lbz dmax. I'm not very far along on it, but I'm going to run a 47rh (non-electronic) trans out of the '94 and '95 cummins. Suncoast builds the duraflite, which is the 47re (electronic) built to be swapped into dmax equipped chevy's. The bonus of running either of these is that they're based off of the torqflite 727 3 speed in older mopars, which can be built to handle a lot of power, and they're much smaller than an allison. From what I hear, the guys that run 'em love 'em.

I want as little electronics as possible (less of a mess) which is kinda hard with a duramax, but luckily I have the PPE hot rod harness for it. That will make things much easier.

Hope that helps, good luck.

I just put a 5.9 from a 90 dodge in a 72 blazer need to do the wireing and need a vac, pump off a 91 5.9 has any done the wireing before that could save me some time. new to this site and haveing trouble getting around so if so can you email me at ms2towing@gmail.com thanks

definitely a dmax.. I just think it would be a better candidate.. The only thing that would really bug me is the fact that you can't have a clean engine bay with a dmax. And I think hotrods NEED clean engine bays. But sometimes ya just gotta give a little to get a lot.

And 57's are worth some money yea Grumpy. But you've gotta do something completely off the wall to make bellybutton cars stand out.. It needs to be done! But then again, i've never liked "original". Complete customs is where it's at!

tough call i have a 57 2 door 210 and a 4 door wagon and have hit the tape measure over them many times it would be hard to pull my big block out of the 2 dr but the wagon a duramax would fit better but with some work with the fire wall the 5.9 would fit but i think the suspension would have to be changed. I think mustange 2 with rack may be nice but a straight axle from Jim Myer might be cool too. just my two cents

That 57 chevy is worth a small fortune! Get another car or truck to do a swap, you could make major bucks selling that 57 and have a hell alot of money to work with!

I guess you could consider 10-15k a small fortune!

Its a 4 doorBelAir. For the most part, its all original, with a warranty 283, Muncie 4, junk factory 10bolt, some interior odds and ends. I do have an LT1 from a 95 Buick slated for it, but in the 2 years since I posted this, Ive learned alot more about the Duramax. I may still do the Dmax swap, probably 4l80 or even a 48re, and either a 9 inch or AAM Dodge/GM rearend.

It moved alright with the 283, I couldnt imagine how itd move with an EFI'd Duramax under the hood :bow:

hate it when people bring really old threads up.. gets me every time! :kick: :doh:. I should really pay attention to the dates more.

I guess you could consider 10-15k a small fortune!

Its a 4 doorBelAir. For the most part, its all original, with a warranty 283, Muncie 4, junk factory 10bolt, some interior odds and ends. I do have an LT1 from a 95 Buick slated for it, but in the 2 years since I posted this, Ive learned alot more about the Duramax. I may still do the Dmax swap, probably 4l80 or even a 48re, and either a 9 inch or AAM Dodge/GM rearend.

It moved alright with the 283, I couldnt imagine how itd move with an EFI'd Duramax under the hood :bow:

If you're going the gasser route, I'd build an LS based engine, A lotta power for a little green:rockwoot:

The LT1 was free. And not many are doing them these days. The LSs are nice, but if I buy an engine itll be a Duramax

Back