Diesel Jr Dragster Build

Thats the same engine i had on my diesel minny chopper i had at the nadm event at national trails a couple years ago. With the right gearing it went about 45 but was slow as **** off the line. cool.

That's a Changfa diesel its a yanmar clone/knockoff. Actually pretty good engines.

I bought a chassis to do the same but my son is only 16 months old...so long wait yet.
I found a guy who will tweak the small injection pump & open up the nozzle on the injetor. Also found a small turbo charger that should work. Was going to send the block out to get fire ringed and a custom copper head gasket. But I figure I have a LONG wait before my son is old enough to race it so I put the project on the back burner.

Looks good we have one of those engines on a lawn mower with an ihi turbo. Worked good till 25lb boost and detonated. Worth every dime from a 600 dollar eBay engine and a 100 dollar turbo. It was a beast!

Good luck on the build looks awesome

I've had this in the works for a while myself. My daughter is only 5, but you will defiantly have another one out there in a few years.

We have been looking at this for a couple years also. I have a couple more years before the little one can drive so figure I better get serious or it will not get done. I would think about bringing this class in to the NADM lineup, if we could get a few of them running.

Just ordered the clutch today for the ride. Big thanks to Steve at Polar Motorsports for the information and direction on getting the clutch dialed in. One step closer.......

Jr dragsters are where I got my start. Great way to teach a kid to cut a light and work on and dial a car or truck in. Also on being a good sport win or loose. Wish There was a diesel in mine. And btw it's been a while since I ran or really paid attention to the jrs but they used to have periodic races between the parents in there childs jrs and I've seen some big people shoehorned into a car with a decent size cage and adjustable pedals. That should answer your question mike.

Jr dragsters are where I got my start. Great way to teach a kid to cut a light and work on and dial a car or truck in. Also on being a good sport win or loose. Wish There was a diesel in mine. And btw it's been a while since I ran or really paid attention to the jrs but they used to have periodic races between the parents in there childs jrs and I've seen some big people shoehorned into a car with a decent size cage and adjustable pedals. That should answer your question mike.

They are definately a great spot for kids to become involved, especially if they are at the track already. A little more work for dad, but..... The chassis and the setup should be a good base to build on as the driver gets older.

Love to see this!!! Ernie and I had a few chats about this as Ethan and Caitlyn played together! Caitlyn is already running in a standard car, I would love to build a diesel for it! Technically the Jr Dragster rules only allow gasoline or alcohol as a fuel (and nearly all the cars run on alcohol), but I'll bet we could get a rule change if people are serious about it.

When Caitlyn turns 10 I would love to spend money on a diesel for 8.90's rather than a gas engine! Her current engine is probably good for about 10.80's or so, and I would like to get her down to 8.90's.

Some of the chassis will fit an adult, but hers is a bit too narrow in the cage for me. I have driven it in the driveway, but had to really fold myself up! There are plenty of adult-sized kids racing Jrs though!

As far as track rules on fuel, i dont know whether you guys are running at nhra track or ihra but if you went and got in touch with either of them and asked i doubt they would have any problems. especially once they realize that it would most likely spark the interest of more and more people and in turn potentially putting more dollars in there pocket... Especially being that it is bracket racing opposed to heads up i do not see any issues with it and am really looking forward to the future of this, it could be huge.

Back