differences

stovepipe

06 cummins how many more things can efi do compared to edge cts and smarty searched and seen some say they will never go with anything else than efi so I'm wanting to see what all can efi do compared to others. Sorry for my ignorance I have searched but I've been a 12v guy for the last 5years then a 03 before that

You could download the software and take a peek! You can change almost any engine parameter and then datalog with it to see what changes need to be made.

Its a little frustrating to do your own tuning but with lots of reading, asking questions and your own experience, its possible to do it yourself... I did mine for the longest time before going with Gordon at Innovative. My tune had good power but his tune had better smoke control, little faster spoolup and .5 mpg better. To me, the part throttle drivability is where the skill is in tuning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
EFI is a tool to either make custom tunes or have a reputable shop build tunes for you unlike any other box tuner that uses the shotgun approach which will cover a wide variety of vehicles with the same tune.

Its not the custom tuning ability that draws so many people to Efi Live. The data logging functions are what is so awesome.

thanks for the reply's I will have to look at the software. Now the trans in a cummins is real basic meaning not like a allison so if you want to change shift points or change line pressure you have to manually change it right so everything that efi does is just the engine is that right?

thanks for the reply's I will have to look at the software. Now the trans in a cummins is real basic meaning not like a allison so if you want to change shift points or change line pressure you have to manually change it right so everything that efi does is just the engine is that right?

Do you know how to use proper grammar? I'm guessing you'd better stick with an Auto Zone chip before you mess with EfiLive.

Plus, you can't use EfiLive with 03 Cummins yet. Maybe you should look into UDC for Smarty.

Last edited:
Ya, he says 06 in original post not sure where 03 even came from.

Sorry, his signature says 03. I forgot about the 03 in the op. Carry on

Last edited:
A box programmer needs to suit the needs of the majority. They have to make the programmer work at high elevation, sea level, in cold weather, in hot weather, bone stock, and with a bunch of mods as well as driving style. The end result is that to be everything to everyone there needs to be some compromise, but on an average truck in average conditions with average mods they work just fine. Move away from average, and the compromises start to build up.

The advantage of EFILive is that it is not a tune, it is software, so you as the end user can tailor a tune to meet your needs - your elevation, your mods, your driving style. You don't need to compromise because the tune is specifically for your application. If you add mods at a later point, modify your tune to best support those mods.

There are 2 methods of tune delivery - FlashScan V2, which allows you the end user to write tunes and datalog, or purchase tunes from a range of Professional Tuners, or AutoCal which is more equivalent to a programmer, but the Tuner writes custom tunes for your application, and the device is locked to that tuner.

Both units allow for data logging, so if your truck doesn't run quite right, you don't need to articulate what is going on, or worse....guess - let the data do that for you.

Both devices allow for concurrent multi-vehicle programming - FlashScan V2 up to 221 vehicles, and AutoCal 8, so your investment is not just limited to your truck today.

Cheers
Cindy

Do you know how to use proper grammar? I'm guessing you'd better stick with an Auto Zone chip before you mess with EfiLive.

Plus, you can't use EfiLive with 03 Cummins yet. Maybe you should look into UDC for Smarty.

FAIL! Learn how to read dumb a$$.

I had an 03 which I messed with quite a bit trying different boxes and stacking back when that's how you got the pulse of spray pressure and timming that I or you wanted. Never messed with efi or a program that you could taylor your needs. I have been driving a 97 12v for the last 5years but I just bought a 06 cummins and looking at efi to taylor what I want out of it. Again thanks for the help and sorry for my ignorance on efi. No auto zone here

Thanks cindy. Sound like what I'm after flashscan v2. So I could use the flash scan on a duranax and cummins or do you pick which manufacturer and buy that flashscan ? Plus build my own file for each

FlashScan does give you more flexibility with tuning and does allow you to purchase tunes from multiple tuners is you want to. Some tuners may provide you with a starter tune, others will charge depending on mods. It would also pay to clarify if the tunes were locked or if you had access to edit them.

There are tuning options to suit customer needs. You can chose Dodge Cummins, GM or both. You don't need to decide today what it is you will need in the future, so you could purchase Cummins today and GM later, or just purchase both options now, which is slightly cheaper.

Each tuning option ships with 2 VIN licenses, so if you purchased both Cummins and GM tuning, you would be able to tune 4 vehicles straight out of the box. You'd only need to purchase additional VIN licenses if you were to tune a 5th vehicle.

Cheers
Cindy

Back