Discussion on Changing the Pulling Classes From Turbo Based to Tire Based

takedown95

I think this topic has been kicked around in different posts but not really in a single thread, at least not that I could find in the last year or so. For the sake of keeping the scope high level lets keep the discussion to full or almost full competition type classes (currently 2.6, 3.0, Superstock) and keep safety equipment out for now.

I wanted to know what folks thought about moving from the current system to a tire based system. In essence make as much HP as you want, however you want to make it and make the drivetrain as bullet proof as you want and then it's your job to get the power to the ground. Here are some initial ideas to get people thinking.

Current 2.6 class-Move to DOT unaltered tires (no duals), OEM frame and full sheet metal, basic hitch height, length %, mounting requirements and say 8300 max weight to allow most factory models.

Current 3.0 class-Move to DOT unaltered tires (duals allowed), OEM frame and full sheet metal, basic hitch height, length %, mounting requirements and say 7800 max weight to allow most factory models.

Current Super Stock-No substatial changes except maybe a 7000-7300 max weight.

I think this would put alot more emphasis on driver ability and less about rules interpretation.

Would still need a maximum tire size for the classes or you will have 44" superswampers with odl.

from phone

Do we think the gasser classes are broken? Many of them have HP limits in the class, and allow the same tires in similar classes.

Do we think the gasser classes are broken? Many of them have HP limits in the class, and allow the same tires in similar classes.

Our association has both gas and diesel classes and there's more discussion. Around rules in the gas classes.

35x12.50 printed on the tire or measured??? Some manufacturers tires are larger or smaller than the printed size...

My opinion, not that it means much, doing such would run the lower class 3.0 guys away. A fairly good running 3.0 motor can be built for a decent price. Now a motor that will withstand some of today's unlimited singles? Different story.They can't drop to 2.6 because of ODl already. I would like to see better restriction on turbos, straight bore no map groove.

If you want to make it a tire/ driver class:

Current 2.6 class-Move to DOT unaltered tires (no duals), OEM frame and full sheet metal, basic hitch height, length %, mounting requirements and say 8300 max weight to allow most factory models. Make it 7200, no duals, and allow gutted bodies and cabs, 2.6 is not a "street class" so why bother with a factory interior and bed floors.

Current 3.0 class-Move to DOT unaltered tires (duals allowed), OEM frame and full sheet metal, basic hitch height, length %, mounting requirements and say 7500 max weight to allow most factory models

I also agree with a percentage hitch in all classes, say 27%.

What about siping?

I suggested unaltered to prevent the "cut tire" issue

35x12.50 printed on the tire or measured??? Some manufacturers tires are larger or smaller than the printed size...

I don't think there's a huge difference between what's printed and what the tire actually says.

My opinion, not that it means much, doing such would run the lower class 3.0 guys away. A fairly good running 3.0 motor can be built for a decent price. Now a motor that will withstand some of today's unlimited singles? Different story.They can't drop to 2.6 because of ODl already. I would like to see better restriction on turbos, straight bore no map groove.

In the proposed solution ODL is fine in any of the classes. Plus unlimted single or compound or whatever doesn't matter. You could have any combination you want.

If you want to make it a tire/ driver class:

Current 2.6 class-Move to DOT unaltered tires (no duals), OEM frame and full sheet metal, basic hitch height, length %, mounting requirements and say 8300 max weight to allow most factory models. Make it 7200, no duals, and allow gutted bodies and cabs, 2.6 is not a "street class" so why bother with a factory interior and bed floors.

Current 3.0 class-Move to DOT unaltered tires (duals allowed), OEM frame and full sheet metal, basic hitch height, length %, mounting requirements and say 7500 max weight to allow most factory models

I also agree with a percentage hitch in all classes, say 27%.

I don't mind the gutted interior in the 2.6 class you can do that now. One question is why would you make the "2.6" class 7200 and the "3.0" class 7500?

7200 2.6 class? Any long wheel base truck would have to be completely stripped just to make weight, thats not hanging any. Im weighing in at 8k with no tailgate or spare already, and some of the newer trucks are even heavier.

In the proposed solution ODL is fine in any of the classes. Plus unlimted single or compound or whatever doesn't matter. You could have any combination you want.

What I meant was a guy could build a decent running 3.0" truck for what I consider not just A whole lot of money, doing most of the work there self and buying some used parts. Some crazy power out there on all stock bottom end motors with cast cam. Now you tell them they have to pull with haisleys supper stock motor with DOT tires? Guess they could just drop to 2.6 if it was ODL

A turbo overhaul would be a good idea. There should be atleast 500hp between classes. Not 150hp like there is now between the 2.6 and 3.0.

Apparently no one on this site can read. The horsepower difference between 2.6 and 3.0 is only 150hp.

Apparently no one on this site can read. The horsepower difference between 2.6 and 3.0 is only 150hp.
Let me try this again. Call harts, ask them what kind of HP they've seen with their 3.0" hx80. Then come back and tell me about this 1550hp 2.6 truck your talking about.

Back