Distiled water -- buy or filter my own?

JasonCzerak

Where can I Get distilled water in quantities bigger then 1 gallon jugs? I'd like to have a few 5 gallon or so deal around and deal with re-usable containers.

Target has 1 gallon milk jugs. I just hate to buy 4 or 6 a month to toss more plastic away.

Or....

What about filtering my own water? I haven't googled this idea yet so no shouting about googling. :) Has anyone attempting to set something up like this?

Jason, Walmart sells the large containers cheap and you can take the container back for cheap refills.

i was thinking about getting a brita for my water meth not sure if it would be worth it though as in would take the minerals out

yea i know wasn't sure if the filter will take them out

brita won't take enough out, you want an in home reverse osmosis filter kit, tons of em on ebay. I was just thinking about an ro kit for myself , this new snow kit really goes through the water, that and a bigger tank.!

where i live most of the supermarkets have water dispensers that you can bring 5 gallon jugs to and fill up for a quarter a gallon and have the option of purified or distilled water. that seems like it would be an easy option

I had time to kill the other week and stopped by a walmart in a fancy part part of town. No water dispenser! It was rather ghetto for this area :)

I bought small gallon jugs this time

Wouldn't be hard to do your own. Just time consuming. Plus those gallons do get expensive.

I bought some of those small DI water setups from a guy when I had my wire edm. PVC pipe housing with the beads in it. I got them just for the big roll of tygon tubing he had with them.
I always heard that if you size your chargers right you don't need the water. But then a tight arse is a tight arse.:hehe:

I would think that an intelligent and thrifty person such as yourself would be collecting rain water and putting it into containers to sell for this purpose. Maybe a business opportunity. You could call it Jason's Economical Water.

Last edited:
You don't "need" water if the builds right, but it's a rare build that won't see some benefit from water.

I believe that all "distilled" water you can buy from the store has been "distilled", as in boiled and then re-condensed. There isn't a real way to distill water without, you know, distilling it.

De-ionized water is close to as good as distilled water, "drinking water" has minerals put into it to alter taste. I kinda doubt that they put in enough minerals to cause a visible build-up, but if I'm going through the hassle of buying water I buy the distilled stuff. I prefer the taste of distilled anyways.

You can build water distillers with an electric heater element and a junkyard radiator, or even just a coil of tubing running off a tea pot. Or alternately you can find a "solar still" that they use in third world countries and make it for free on a sunny day.

I've been buying the 2.5 gallon rectangle jugs with the little spigots on them from the supermarket since I've decided to stop running tap water. I should've sent in an oil analysis when I was running the tap... Maybe I'll run one more tank of tap through it just for the sake of science.

Back