DIY ceramic coating, how are working/ holding up??

bsmith

Never enough
The last thread is closed, so I figured id start another to see how people are like theirs.

Id like to try one, their fairly cheap, seem easy to apply.

Do they hold up like they should to heat?

Anyone think their not worth the $$?

I just want to coat my exhaust housings and hot pipe. I m not worried about he looks of it, they'll be covered with levi's blankets.

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm about to blast and give mine a coat with NIC' s black air cure turbo coat. They say its rated at 2000 deg ( which I doubt ) with a coating on just the outside. I won't see temps that hot any ways. It's supposed to drop the surface temps by 75 deg's. A couple shops I talked to would only rate the black that high if they did inside and out. Which if you cant put an etching on the inside then I don't see how it would stick. Go to their website and read through their steps and procedures. A lot of the coating buisnesses I talked with in my state uses thier products. I'm using aluminum oxide for blasting because I couldn't find any garnet sand or any 100 grit silica free sand in my area. Just Google NIC industries and they have a tech line just ask for Jesse

I would do either the blankets or the coating. Otherwise the coating will deteriorate at an accelerated pace under the wrap.

I would do either the blankets or the coating. Otherwise the coating will deteriorate at an accelerated pace under the wrap.
That's good to know, I've already bought the blankets. What about wraping my hot pipe plus using a blanket? Any harm there?

I don't know. I don't like blankets. :)

My experience is from using header wrap on my down pipe over DIY ceramic coating. Where the coating touched teh wrap, it tarnished/rusted. The pieces I didn't wrap are fine.

My experience is from using header wrap on my down pipe over DIY ceramic coating. Where the coating touched teh wrap, it tarnished/rusted. The pieces I didn't wrap are fine.

Wrap or blankets? They don't act the same way in regard to corrosion, etc.

So brandon do you like the blankets or no? If so why?. I'm just curious

So brandon do you like the blankets or no? If so why?. I'm just curious
No offense meant to Levi, but I don't like blankets. I'd rather stop the heat at the source than possible moisture build-up/fire hazard.

No offense meant to Levi, but I don't like blankets. I'd rather stop the heat at the source than possible moisture build-up/fire hazard.
So you think ceramic is more effective over wraps and blankets?

So you think ceramic is more effective over wraps and blankets?
From using the infrared temp gun on the coated vs. uncoated vs. coated + wrapped, yes. However I may be missing the point if blankets offer 2-300F over 1/8" thick fiberglass wrap.

is there clearance in side the exhaust housing for ceramic coatings? I have no idea how tight clearances are in a turbo housing.

Non taken, each to their own. I've just yet to see a ceramic be able to compete with blankets heat wise. I've heard about a few that are supposed to be awesome, just never seen them perform myself.

Both have their place, and they work well together for us - but there's no comparison strictly in terms of K-value.

Back