DLD T-case problem

Rob_Bones

I H8T ULSD
I have a DLD transfer case... Unfortunately it’s now seeping a little bit of fluid between the two halves. Not a lot just enough to put a drop on the tip of your finger if you run it around the seal. I know it’s a silicone seal and not a gasket but what’s involved with splitting the case to re-seal it. I know there is a chain and a couple of gears inside but that’s about the extent of my knowledge of it. What’s the best way to re-seal that thing? Or where can I find a reliable parts break down of it? Any help would be great, thanks.

-Rob

If its like my 241DHD I just had apart, its pretty easy. Remove the bolts holding the tailhousing on, then remove the rubber plug on top of the tailhousing. Open the snap ring up inside the hole and slide the tailhousing off. I think you have to pull the rear bearing off the shaft (just remove the snap ring again). Next you have to remove a few screws from the oil pump ring and pull part of it out. Then split the case apart. Here's a pic of mine apart. You shouldn't have to disassemble it this far though. My 3 year old is now a certified transfer case rebuilder...:D

DSC04643.jpg

Go by and get a can of "The Right Stuff" sealant from your local parts house (looks like a can of easy cheese) to use. Follow the directions on the can and don't get to crazy with the bead size. Use Scotch brite and brake cleaner to remove all traces of the old gasket material and oil, follow up with a clean rag to remove any dirt/debris from the seal area. If you can let the case sit for a couple of hours before reinstalling/refilling it will help.

Back