Do the updated STC fittings fail?

deerefanatic

Always learnin...
Ok guys... got 06 F350 with 300k miles in the shop..... complaint was no restart when hot.. Progressed downhill to sporadic stalling. Threw the scan tool on it and it had low ICP when cranking.. Decided to do standpipes and dummy plugs as they are easier to get to, and this truck has been apart for injectors a few times. (This thing's been worked on by every ford dealer in the area... I don't think this guy's been able to go more than 40k miles without an expensive repair bill)

Anywho, put em in, the old ones all looked good with the exception of one of them which had an o-ring erroding pretty badly... Buttoned up, took it out, no difference. At WOT ICP Demand is 3000 psi and it fluctuates between 1800 and 2100......

So I make a last minute run Saturday night down to the ford dealer and pickup an STC fitting kit and turbo install kit...... Tear into it this afternoon (the owner's a cattle trucker and has a load to haul tomorrow. Though I doubt he's going anywhere)... And my heart sunk when I got the HPOP cover off and found it already has the updated fitting.. :nail:

So, does the updated fitting leak on these? Or am I looking at something else? At this point, the only things left are the IPR Valve and the branch tube.... Right? Should I re-replace the STC fitting since i'm in there? I thought about air testing this piece, but I don't have IDS and have read that Autoenginuity can't command 100% IPR duty cycle.

Looking for some guidance here.

Thanks.

Cut an injector pigtail from a 7.3 uvc harness and lengthen the wires then plug it into the ipr and connect directly to the battery then you can pressure test the HPO system.

Yes, pressure test the system. Though I'm almost leaning to injectors at this point.

WOT ICP desired should be ~ 4000psi btw. Is this being tested on stock tuning? It's possible the HPOP is dying as well, though, at least from the experience I've had, the 05+ HPOPs seem to just die suddenly, and the 03/04 trucks seem to die a slow death, so I would lean against that right now and assume the HPOP is fine. How is low pressure oil? The gauge on the dash doesn't mean much either, that registers with only like 3 psi.

I have 2 IDS setups here in Green Bay if you wanna use one. As for IPR testing with voltage, DO NOT apply voltage for more than 20-30 seconds at a crack.
As for the updated fitting, the newest one only fail with install error. Make sure it is the newest one, as there have been 2 updates for the IPR. IPR screen intact? Remove hpop cover, reinstall IPR and run the truck or air test the pump and look for leaks around the shaft.

Last edited:
OK. Air tested the truck this morning. Absolutely ZERO leaks anywhere with 125psi shop air. Assumed maybe it was the IPR valve going bad and getting intermittent. Bought a new IPR valve and installed it. Buttoned the truck all back up tonight with new intake gaskets, etc..... Not 1 bit of difference at all.

yes, truck is bone stock programming.

So, we have:

1: All new Standpipes and Dummy plugs from Ford
2: Brand new IPR valve from Ford
3: Updated 1-piece STC fitting. (Not by me, presumably from Ford)
4: Oil cooler & EGR cooler were replaced last summer with the updated parts from Sinister diesel including their stainless steel HPOP inlet screen.

I'm thinking I'm going to throw in the towel on this one... This poor guy needs this thing to make his living with.. I think the Ford dealer will get him going quicker.

OK. Air tested the truck this morning. Absolutely ZERO leaks anywhere with 125psi shop air. Assumed maybe it was the IPR valve going bad and getting intermittent. Bought a new IPR valve and installed it. Buttoned the truck all back up tonight with new intake gaskets, etc..... Not 1 bit of difference at all.

yes, truck is bone stock programming.

So, we have:

1: All new Standpipes and Dummy plugs from Ford
2: Brand new IPR valve from Ford
3: Updated 1-piece STC fitting. (Not by me, presumably from Ford)
4: Oil cooler & EGR cooler were replaced last summer with the updated parts from Sinister diesel including their stainless steel HPOP inlet screen.

I'm thinking I'm going to throw in the towel on this one... This poor guy needs this thing to make his living with.. I think the Ford dealer will get him going quicker.

I have seen similar problems to what your experiencing. Are the injectors original? I have seen the metallic "guide/retainer" on the top of the injector which keeps the oil inlet o rings in place crack. It will eventually break but it can be a pain to detect because of symptoms similar to what you have and oil pressure leaking past the o ring feeding the injector. I that happen to a truck I was working on recently, one injector was causing the symptom.

Well, just came in from running the scan tool on the truck again. Truck barely idles and wants to die. Smokes hard too. Desired ICP only goes to about 1200 psi and actual pressure is right up there. At this point, in the morning I'm gonna change fuel filters just to rule it out.

Sounds like your high pressure oil side is doing good... what about low pressure oil? Sometimes the valve in the oil filter housing sticks and wont let oil flow right either. Make sure it has a motorcraft or International oil filter and a stock oil filter cap on it too. Is the low pressure oil gauge coming up when you crank?

Has the FICM been tested?

Back