Does anyone build vw auto's yet?

madmikeismad

So mad
I've been told a few companys overseas do them, but can't get names. I'm sure the converters and clutch packs are something that could be done by any of the big trans guys we use, but the hard parts would be difficult to source.

I'd love to swap to an auto, as I know I'm going to destroy this 5spd, and hopefully will get past the limit of the 6spd. I know the awd setups are stronger, but no one can tell me how strong.

DSG or the Aisin auto?

I think it's called Import Performance Transmission out of GA.

Anything that will hold boosted launches and locked shifts. Manual vb preferred.

Has to be a trans that bolts up/works with alh.

Looks like they just do vb and clutch pack upgrades. I emailed them anyways. Finding a core 01M won't be hard since everyone wants a manual.

Curious how many people are tearing the manual transmission up?

Curious how many people are tearing the manual transmission up?

5spd tcases don't like traction and boosted launches AT ALL. 6spds in my experience will take some heavy abuse. Seen one take 350hp from a gasser. Don't know how they do with high tq tdi's though.

Right now I'm running a stock high mileage 5spd from my old beetle. I know it's not going to last long, so I'm trying to get my ducks in a row now. I really really really really really want to swap to a well built auto, but I'm afraid it won't be possible. My backup plan is to find an awd swap, but those are hard to find and never available when I have the cash. I'll probably be stuck with a 6spd.

I can beef one up. We got a few CNC burn tables and a few machines I can play with to make some gears and shaft supports.

I can beef one up. We got a few CNC burn tables and a few machines I can play with to make some gears and shaft supports.

I will keep you in mind. I emailed that one company with no response yet, but I'll cut them some slack since it's the weekend.

I also got ahold of my trans guy, whos very interested in doing it, but he's gotta look into vw stuff and get back to me. If he's willing to try, I know there's going to be some parts that need machining.

Another question: Do the auto's run the same diff's as the manuals?

I'm going to watch this thread. The VWs with autos can be picked up cheap. Wouldn't mind one if I had a good transmission in it.

5spd tcases don't like traction and boosted launches AT ALL. 6spds in my experience will take some heavy abuse. Seen one take 350hp from a gasser. Don't know how they do with high tq tdi's though.

Right now I'm running a stock high mileage 5spd from my old beetle. I know it's not going to last long, so I'm trying to get my ducks in a row now. I really really really really really want to swap to a well built auto, but I'm afraid it won't be possible. My backup plan is to find an awd swap, but those are hard to find and never available when I have the cash. I'll probably be stuck with a 6spd.

Are you taking about the 02J? There's upgraded gearsets, pinion braces, and LSD's for them

I want the auto for racing, and to so converter slip will help keep traction (to a point).

Right now I'm stuck with the stock tdi 5spd. If no one can do a decent auto build, or try at least, I'll probably just swap to a 6spd. I'd love to do awd, but finding one will suck.

I second the ipt trans.

If sticking with the manual I would stay with the 5 speed

Last edited:
I second the ipt trans.

If sticking with the manual I would stay with the 5 speed

Why's that?

IPT did email me back, said it would be good for 300-350hp. I'm shooting for way more than that, and tq should be higher as well. I'm afraid that wouldn't last long.

Back