Does Dodge derate the Cummins?

DieselFan808

So I have a 2004... or so I thought.
Dodge revealed that the VIN says the engine was rated at 305 hp @ 2900 rpm.
The VIN reads that it was manufactured 06/04
I have the he351 and it had the pump in the tank before I installed the AirDog.
I figured the turbo was just upgraded.
BUT Cummins says the engine left their company rated at 325 hp in June of 2004.

Do I have a weird hybrid or is Dodge's information all twisted?

I believe 05s started with the lift pump in the tank. Mine is a 04.5 325 and lift pump was on the fuel bowl.

I believe 05s started with the lift pump in the tank. Mine is a 04.5 325 and lift pump was on the fuel bowl.

See, this stuff is so confusing.
Every other info out there claims 04.5 had the he351, pump in tank and a cat.

I guess it's safe to say that I have the 325, according to Cummins.

My 03 has pump in tank. It was a warranty "fix" by dodge for failed lift pumps IIRC

My 03 has pump in tank. It was a warranty "fix" by dodge for failed lift pumps IIRC

Yeah it was, that's why I never thought it odd that it was in the tank.
But then i noticed the solenoid on the turbo and got confused for a sec.
Previous owner said early 04 and I always ran off of that. Never verified.
Fortunately I never ordered anything that was specifically intended for the 03-04 and not 04.5+

Your engine was most likely made before the build date of your truck. It's totally possible you have a 305hp engine. My truck had the pump by the fuel bowl. It also came with a 48re with a 4 pinion overdrive planetary and a v10 spring under the accumulator piston. I didn't find out until I blew up the planetary.

Dodge pushes Cummins to up the power. Same with Ford pushing Navistar (International) to up the old PowerStrokes.
That's why school buses make low end torque but much less HP.

I agree that you've probably just got the 325 on an odd ball time.

If it came like some through our shop, the companies have them derated then to keep their employees from tearing them up

When you see 325, it's advertised at that and governed at 300 ect

Jan 04' is when the 325/600 engine was installed. It did have the lift pump on the back of the fuel filter. They didn't last long. Mine died at 22-24k miles. I had the in tank unit installed.

Okay, I was successfully able to chip and scrape off just enough paint to see the data sticker.
It is indeed a 325. I guess I should've just listened to Cummins. They know the deal :thumbup:
The lady was even able to tell me when the truck's warranty began.
Amazing what 8 little numbers can provide.

I think all manufacturers do, my buddy worked at Cummins power generation for a while he said they had 6.7 Cummins on gen sets there putting out 650hp

Don't you have the head off? Very easy to tell exactly what engine you have by looking at piston bowls.

Back