Does Smarty sw1 kill ecm's?

cummins724

BREAKING $HIT
I had a post a while back about my brothers truck & the new Smarty software. He daily drives the truck on sw1 & it is because he is all about the MPG's or as I call it "he is cheap". LOL Well, maybe very smart considering the fuel prices. His truck is a 98.5 5 speed CTD. The only mods are RV275, Smarty, 4" straight pipe. I loaded the new Smarty software into his truck when it was released thinking changes were made to the software for driveability. His ecm always threw a code 0253 when temperatures would get below 30*, then one day his ecm threw like 8 codes & the truck shut off. I replaced the ecm with the one from my 99 to get him on the road & all was well since september. Yesterday he was driving to my house & his cel illuminated, sure enough 0253 code came back. It was 17* last weekend, yesterday it was in the 30's. What is going on here? It seems like the ecm is going out again, as it is doing the same thing all over again. Any opinions?

B.A.Ram said:
bad luck?
That is what I'm trying to find out. The 99 ecm has seen all Smarty sw's except sw1 on my 99 & lasted 160k miles, put it on his truck & it lasts 4 months on sw1.

I wouldn't think there is a difference between smarty softwares in regards to killing the ecm, I would think if one did it, any would do it. Call bob and see what he says, I've never heard of anything like this.

**On a side note, my friggin drag comp won't turn on if it's below 35...it's pretty much awesome :hehe:

B.A.Ram said:
I wouldn't think there is a difference between smarty softwares in regards to killing the ecm, I would think if one did it, any would do it. Call bob and see what he says, I've never heard of anything like this.

**On a side note, my friggin drag comp won't turn on if it's below 35...it's pretty much awesome :hehe:
SW1 is a whole different ballgame, it is really aggressive timing compared to other sw.

I don't know if the problems are smarty related on your truck, but I had some serious ECM issues after installing a Smarty on a 04.5. I finally fixed it, but the Smarty was the culprit. I got rid of it and now have a bully dog.

I've run level 1 before and knock on wood my ecm's still kicking.

BgBlDodge said:
I've run level 1 before and knock on wood my ecm's still kicking.
He runs it everyday, he says it is more fun to drive on sw1 than other softwares. I told him to try another number for a while & see if the code comes back, he is now running sw5.

Back