Does this transmission need rebuilt?

Stuffy

First Gen
My brother is wondering if this means it needs rebuilt. He said he was driving it for about 30 minutes and it started acting like it hit neutral. Now he puts it in gear and it acts like its slipping really bad. Will barely roll. Plenty of fluid so I told him pull the pan and check it out. Metal all over the filter, fluid is glittery, and smells and looks burnt. Has 4 codes; 37,45,23, and 62. All to do with electronics. I told him it needs rebuilt but he wanted me to ask. It's a 1997 2500 12 valve 47re around 150,000 miles and trans supposedly rebuilt around 30,000 ago. Opinions please? Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 0
Another. Some reason I can only do one at a time from my phone

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 0
All that sparkly metal in the ATF came from somewhere... It is possible that you could get away with a flush, filter change and refill to limp it along a little longer, but I would think it needs a full rebuild.

Another. Some reason I can only do one at a time from my phone

Two words when you see that much material in the pan:

SHE GONE!!!

Something major has failed, it needs to come out for internal repair.

With the amount of brass in the pan, I wouldn't be surprised if the pump stator support bushing has failed and wiped out a seal or two on the input shaft.

Pretty much what I figured. Just hoping maybe not because he's not even 17 yet and I'm sure he will have a tough time coming up with enough cash to fix it. I'm going to recommend that he build it tough when he does do it though

Buy you an ATSG book for the 47re, a rebuild kit from transtar, factory replacement Daco converter, shift kit, 2nd gear band, and do the rebuild yourself. You'll probably be into the entire rebuild around $500. But don't rule out needing some unexpected hard parts. (Forward drum, bushings, etc, over drive clutch pack snap ring)

Also, BigBlue24 has a great thread on rebuilding these transmissions. Plenty of pictures describing the details. Though his rebuild was more of a performance build, you'll get the idea.

48RE Performance Transmission Rebuild

48RE Performance Transmission Rebuild - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Back