Does your steering suck?

I'm just wanting the 3rd gen steering box. I've got thuren's crossover steering system and weld in track bar and those are solid. Just this dang steering box is a piece.

Gen4 steering box is bigger and better :evil

Thank GOD!!!! Glad I sold my 98 and got rid of the terrible steering. All Thuren's stuff, good stabilizer, tracbar, tie rods, steering brace, EVERYTHING...and it's still

Chris

00 Ram 2500 Steering

My 00 4x4 2500 Dodge cummins has the wondering steering problem. I recently replaced the ball joints, tie rod ends, track bar and stabilizer shock. I used the 98-99HD for the drag link and tie rod. Alot beefier setup. I still have wondering steering. I also have a noise when I turn that sounds like a squeech. I first thought I was low on powersteerting fluid, but is up to proper level. I am thinking it has to be the gear box.

Opinions and suggestions? This kit may be just what I need.

My 00 4x4 2500 Dodge cummins has the wondering steering problem. I recently replaced the ball joints, tie rod ends, track bar and stabilizer shock. I used the 98-99HD for the drag link and tie rod. Alot beefier setup. I still have wondering steering. I also have a noise when I turn that sounds like a squeech. I first thought I was low on powersteerting fluid, but is up to proper level. I am thinking it has to be the gear box.

Opinions and suggestions? This kit may be just what I need.

I have always hated my steering and have thrown many many parts at it.

My ball joints and tierods were always tight so I haven't went that route, but I have used a DT (I think that's what its called) track bar, and a DSS.

Those are band-aides that provide marginal improvement at best. The problem lies in the steering gear.

The newer style steering gear has a much larger diameter output shaft that is also much shorter. The shorter it is the less chance leverage can be applied by the pitman arm and drag link. (Read DSS is not needed and WILL NOT work)

The newer style also has a much tighter ratio, meaning that it takes less turns of the steering wheel to make the turn.

Any updates? Ive got to do something about my steering. Im interested in a 3rd gen box but i would like to know what its gonna cost me.

Steering blows in this 2000 I just bought to. I need something, its the wifes truck and she will end up piling it up.

Gen4 steering box is bigger and better :evil

Best thing I ever did for my steering!!! Sold all that crappy 2nd Gen stuff, and replaced it with 4th Gen...somehow, it grew full rear doors, and my engine got quieter though!!!

Chris:D

Back