Double Din head unit with Nav?

DCSpecial

Mr. Sinister
Who's running a Double Din Head Unit with Navigation?

Which one do you have?
How do you like it?

Edit...I didn't read your post completely, so heres my correction. I don't run built in Nav as I need to transfer GPS to several vehicles. Maybe thats a consideration for you, maybe not. Pioneer has got a good setup. Panasonics double is kinda new, so no info yet. Eclipse is been really well regarded and probably what I would buy if doing a 2xdin w/ nav.

Here is what I do have: I'm running a Panasonic that was not exported to the US. It's got a tube in the pre-amp section with VU meters.

truck-pana.JPG

Last edited:
Abrannan19 said:
um..zeeeee oooonnnnneee....

lmao..

Yeah, yeah, yeah....that's an option.

I have been looking more into the Kenwood Double DIN with their nav.

Need to look into Alpine too....

And of course Eclipse and all their models. I wanted to play with the display model they had at Circuit City....but it was broken LOL

i have a buddy with eclipse's top dollar double din nav unit... that thing is really impressive

what is double din??
i am also looking for a new head unit with Nav

I was originally looking at the Pioneer Z1 and the Eclipse AVN5495....both good units with the navi as part of the HD.

I can get a good deal on both from a buddy of mine who sells all this stuff.

BUT, the kenwood ddx6019 with the separate Kenwood nav unit is considerabley cheaper...and the navi uses a SD card slot of the maps (they use Garmin's software) so it's easy to get the upgraded maps.

Still have to look up what Alpine has to offer.

I might have to go to Tweeter since I think they carry alpine, pioneer....and maybe some others.

Last edited:
Fuzzys69 said:
what is double din??
i am also looking for a new head unit with Nav

Double DIN is the full flat screen that fills the entire opening. The disk drives are behind the screen.

I like them better than a flip out....possibly since I've broken two flip outs in my truck LOL

lpreston said:
Edit...I didn't read your post completely, so heres my correction. I don't run built in Nav as I need to transfer GPS to several vehicles. Maybe thats a consideration for you, maybe not. Pioneer has got a good setup. Panasonics double is kinda new, so no info yet. Eclipse is been really well regarded and probably what I would buy if doing a 2xdin w/ nav.

Here is what I do have: I'm running a Panasonic that was not exported to the US. It's got a tube in the pre-amp section with VU meters.

truck-pana.JPG

That's the most awsome thing I've ever seen. I love tubes, won't even plug my guitar into a solid state amp :)

George

Hmmm.....I was looking at all the Alpine stuff on ebay.

They have the IWA-200 and then a portable "BlackBird" Navigation.

You can connect the BlackBird to the IWA-200 and control it from the unit....or take it with you wherever you go. The BlackBird has it's own 3.6" LCD touchscreen, looks like it can play MP3s itself....
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=PMD-B100

And the head unit itself:
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=IVA-W200

The BlackBird makes this combo pretty cool...

About $1100 for the combo on ebay brand new.

DCSpecial said:
Hmmm.....I was looking at all the Alpine stuff on ebay.

They have the IWA-200 and then a portable "BlackBird" Navigation.

You can connect the BlackBird to the IWA-200 and control it from the unit....or take it with you wherever you go. The BlackBird has it's own 3.6" LCD touchscreen, looks like it can play MP3s itself....
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=PMD-B100

And the head unit itself:
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=IVA-W200

The BlackBird makes this combo pretty cool...

About $1100 for the combo on ebay brand new.

ive got a friend with the Z1 in his truck, and its bad azz, but thats a pretty damn cool setup! i like the ability to take the nav with you!
id want to play with it first tho to see how well it works

the ability to get HD radio on the alpine is nice, but the gracenote and built in hard drive on the Z1 is also a cool feature. i like that the blootooth comes with the alpine - however you can add it to the Z1

i think since youre not driving the truck much at the moment you should wait to see what new cool stuff pioneer comes out with (if it has HD radio)

Last edited:
Brad,
Oh yeah...I'm waiting till it's warmer out and I'm actually drving the SD before I buy anything.
Going to go to Tweeter and see if they have the BlackBird there so I can see how well it works.
In the meantime, I'm going to pull the N2 and see if my buddy can work some magic and push it through warranty. If I can get a refurb. or get it fixed...I'm probably just going to sell it.

Adam,
On the Z1 did you guys bypass the safety?

On the Z1 how is it done?

On the N2, it's just a matter of soldering a couple of points together.......I know that the Z1 is different (at least pretty sure that it is), but can't remember what is done.

you have to buy a switch type deal..its like 25 or 30 bucks..but supposedly there are other ways..but not soldering anymore on the Z1

He doesn't by chance have bluetooth for his cell phone with that unit does he?

I'm curious as to how well that would work....the interior of my truck is LOUD LOL

Back