Drag only 12V do I need an intercooler

unfinished business

Like the title says I am working on a drag only 12v setup. It is nothing wild...maybe 500rwhp. I am wondering if I need an intercooler or not? This engine is going in 1970 chevelle and I am wondering if I can get away with water injection or something else to help keep the IAT in check.

The engine will be basic - 5x.014 inj, no afc, 7mm DVs, 4k gsk and a 63/68 charger plus a few other minor additions.

I am not against running an intercooler I am just wondering if it is really needed for my setup.

Thank you,

Paul

Not needed, but wouldn't hurt. Let's see some pictures of that bad machine.

My vote for water/meth..... but you're going to want more than that list for a drag only setup.

....In the sense of you're going to get bored with that combo

My vote for water/meth..... but you're going to want more than that list for a drag only setup.

....In the sense of you're going to get bored with that combo

Eventually yes, but for now I just want something to run high 11's that I don't need to work on all the time lol

why arnt you going to be running an afc?

I am going to gut the AFC. It is simpler and with a drag only vehicle I am not worried as much about smoke and spool, but more about getting all the fuel I can. If i ever put it on the street then I will have a fully functioning AFC.

Yes. Even if you can only afford a $120 RacePartSolutions chinese special intercooler, yes. Unless you plan on injecting more water than fuel, I'd recommend an intercooler.

I wouldn't say you NEED one (I don't run one, for instance), but as Joefarmer said, they're never a bad idea. You can get a front mount Procharger intercooler off of Ebay or something that should package pretty well in your Chevelle for cheap.

Why not use a water to air IC? A lot less space than a full air/air and great cooling capacity.

Why not use a water to air IC? A lot less space than a full air/air and great cooling capacity.

Although the cooler itself may be smaller in some instances you also need a tank to hold water/ice, water lines, and a water pump and it all can add up quick.

I would use at least something weather it be w/a or regular. Mill always run one just in case my turbos go boom and send parts flying into the intercooler instead of the engine..

A functioning, and properly tuned afc will always be faster than a gutted afc. Sutter1stgen picked up .4 of a second in the 1/4 tightening a tuned afc, and he was launching with a lot of boost.

I do agree having an intercooler is better than not having one though. Even if it's just from eBay

I agree, use a afc. My truck wouldn't spool at all, then I put a AFC on that Brad set up for me and it spools quite easy for the large turbos!

Back