Drag Racer turned to the dark side

clarkoh

I drag raced about 30 years. Have not in about 10. Still a fan and occasionally help on and root for my good friends in Pro Mod, Mike Janis and crew. He won INDY and Englishtown in 2013.

I have done all of my own assembly and planning on my own drag racing engines. All but my earliest have been BB Mopar. Some were stroked by offset grinding the crank and using BBChevy rods. Best pass in the Avenger was 8.31 @162. Mainly bracket racing and sometimes Super Comp/ Quick Rod or Super Gas/ Rod. Won IHRA North American Nationals in 1993 in Quick Rod at Epping, NH. (8.90 heads up class).

Diesel performance has been limited to basic bolt-ons to the 4 diesel trucks I have or still own. 89Ram, 92Ram, 2000Ram 24v(still have) and the family truckster my 2001 Excursion 7.3. The last two are still in the fleet and have combined mileages of about 640,000. Both are over 310,000. Dodge has had a transmission, Ford has had a turbo or 2. Other than that, no major repairs.

My Tom son and I built a 6000 sq.ft. building and have opened the Flying Hammer. We are primarily metal workers and can do about anything a customer wants or needs. Restoration is the current focus, but drag chassis and body hanging services are available. Diesel conversions are also available. Starting with our 2 projects.

My current projects include a 48 Dodge Pilothouse which is about to get a 4BT and a 2000 Ram chassis with NV4500 and plenty of modernization. The other project is a ground up scratch built M37 Powerwagon. All chassis and sheetmetal is being built in house, except for the Fiberglass cab (chopped 4"). The driveline is going to be 6BT single, a 47RH transmission and 9" Ford with NASCAR style floater axels attached to a sheetmetal housing. The grill shell will filled with a 4" thick innercooler. The cooling is coming from 2- 14x14 radiators mounted in the bed. There will be no original PW parts harmed in the process. Everything is hand made.

I am on facebook as Clark Olson and Flying Hammer LLC. FB Flying Hammer pages have pictures of various work and other stuff. On my personal page the album about Niagara Falls may be of interest. All of the pictures were taken by my dad in 1969 when they "turned off" the Falls. If you are too young to remember that, the pictures will explain.

Thanks, Clark Olson Dallas, NC. Formerly Buffalo and Albany NY.

Welcome! Make sure to start build threads for your projects, Both sound very cool!

Thanks. Got few projects. Some with income and some that spend it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I have thread going on my 4bt stroker project. Its going in a 48 Pilothouse and will see the drag strip someday.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Back