Drag tire prep

DieselheaD

What are you using to keep them soft? Don't know if I can bring these back or not what do y'all think?

The rear tires seemed to crack after some burnouts, the fronts look a lot better.

image_zps2xffdtul.jpg

image_zpswps0yigq.jpg

image_zpsc6fwzfkq.jpg

image_zps2jz08pig.jpg

image_zpswwyhkvey.jpg

I personally would not run those tires, esp the first two.

I personally would not run those tires, esp the first two.

I'm a bit hesitant myself, I know there's a bunch of people on here that run them and I'd like to know if anyone has seen them in this condition. I'd like to hear their suggestions.

Will tech even let you on the track with them? That might be your short answer.

How were the tires stored during the off season?

How deep are the cracks? I'd run them if they're just trying to chunk the tread. Soaking them in antifreeze will make them soft/swell and make the cracks not so noticeable. Obviously if the cracks are deep and into the cords you shouldn't run them but surface cracks I'd roll em.

Tires have been stored indoors, but not climate controlled or anything.

Cracks are about 1/16 deep not close to showing threads. Thanks I'll try the antifreeze, I heard I should get vht or some tire compound and wrap them with clear plastic.

Last edited:
Im pretty sure my buddy that races circle track sprays his with naptha and then saran wraps them

When I raced go carts we would wash the tires with purple power, them let sit and the sun spray wd-40 on them to open the pours up and then rub this tire stuff on it called goat pee. I know it sounds crazy but it would make them super soft and sticky!!

No way in hell I would run those tires....

Is a tire failure on the track risking your truck and even your health worth the cost of a set of tires? :badidea:

True, figured i practice 60' launches a few times then check them to see if they stay the same or got worse

Those cracks across the tread look like they came from too much heat in a drag radial, not compound degradation. DRs don't like big burnouts. I would run those.

When I raced go carts we would wash the tires with purple power, them let sit and the sun spray wd-40 on them to open the pours up and then rub this tire stuff on it called goat pee. I know it sounds crazy but it would make them super soft and sticky!!

We don't call it "goat pee" but we use the same stuff.

Those cracks across the tread look like they came from too much heat in a drag radial, not compound degradation. DRs don't like big burnouts. I would run those.

Since they had been sitting in a shop prior to my brother buying them, he thought it would be a good idea to spin them on concrete to freshen them up before using them on the street.... Idiot! haha

I am guessing to do not see the cracks between the treads?

Back