Drag Truck??

JQmile

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Hi y'all, new to the forum and thought I would drop by and ask opinions on a possible drag truck project before I throw tons of $$$ at it.

The long and short of it is a duramax engine in a 1975 Chevy LUV truck :ylsuper: .......Yeah I know a lot of people don't like LUV's, but they look allright with wheels and a rollcage honest...LOL...The truck weighs in at 2700# right now (no driver) with steel and cast iron everything and a 307 small block chevy. The stock frames can handle 1000hp believe it or not, and with a coil over conversion on the front end will also handle the weight of a big block chevy which I believe is about the same as a duramax. The front end would be glass to offset the weight a bit, and to help get a big radiator in....not sure whether the truck would be back 1/2'd or ladder bar setup.......so that's the basic theory....I figure I'd just run a tune and bottle for a start, 600rwhp should put the truck well into the nines at 3000# if dmax's can run low 12's at 5500+lbs, plus with the light weight I should be able to get 25mpg or more :lolly: truck would be street driven, and goal would probably be 8's eventually......not building for any class to race in really, just for fun:woohoo: .....so let me know what ya think, and also how much it might be for a donor engine and trans....also, does anyone know whether there are so many electronics that the conversion would be a nightmare? Finally, should I go with a built trans and rods at the start, or just throw in a bunch of stock stuff and let the torque do the rest? Right now I have a 900hp small block chevy (500hp + big N2O) but I thought a diesel would be different and reliable, cause we all know how driveable 12:1 compression big cam small blocks are :umno: ......well enough talking your ears off, :blahblah1: Any advice would be welcome!!

The only thing I see is that the frame may handle 1000HP from a gas engine, but that's only 1000tq, right? With a diesel producing 600RWHP on spray, the TQ numbers fall somewhere from 1200-1600 depending on how low RPM you spray. Torque will kill the stock frame, but it sounds like you have a good handle on the reinforcements.

brandon.

Yeah we'll see, the way I see it if I 3 wheel until 1/2 track then I know I have too much torque and the stock frame can't handle it LOL anybody know how much $$$ a duramax engine and tranny is by the way???

I kinda understand the torque thing, but the way I see it leaving the line at 2000rpm where a diesel is making say 500hp should be the same as having a 4500rpm converter in a gas motor where it is making 500hp...not sure though, looking for someone with an engineering degree to step in this thread

JQmile said:
Yeah we'll see, the way I see it if I 3 wheel until 1/2 track then I know I have too much torque and the stock frame can't handle it LOL anybody know how much $$$ a duramax engine and tranny is by the way???

I kinda understand the torque thing, but the way I see it leaving the line at 2000rpm where a diesel is making say 500hp should be the same as having a 4500rpm converter in a gas motor where it is making 500hp...not sure though, looking for someone with an engineering degree to step in this thread

I would look at stiffening the chassis, and letting the suspension do its work with hooking up. . . .

Look on ebay there is a place in Canada that is selling a lot of engine/trans. combos for around 5K IIRC. Pretty good deal IMO. Seem to be mostly low mile setups too. There's a guy on another site that bought one from them and he was pleased.

FYI- there are Dmaxes running 10.5x's on the juice at 5500 lbs. The cool ting is, with the setup for Pro-Street next year, the re is no minnimum weight, so you can run there. The class will be indexed at 10.50, but after eliminations, the fast 4 from qualifying will race balls out with no index.

Oddly enough, I've decided to stick with leaf springs and caltrac bars for now....maybe I can be the fastest stock chassis'd luv around who knows?...pretty interesting read on the cal trac bars here

http://www.calvertracing.com/gallery/Full Pics/page2pic10.htm

I just have to get some custom made cause c'mon, it's a Chevy LUV, nobody makes parts for them anymore:bang I just have to figure out how to soften the launch with a diesel so the torque doesn't blow off the tires right away. Thinking barley stalling up and not spraying till 1/2 track....will get pics of project up as soon as I can :ylsuper: And the 10.50 class sounds fun, but I am glad there is a take no prisoners race at the end, I hate bracket racing:kick: I can run 16.0 all night in a fully built Honda LOL

IIRC, you will be able to run a 33 inch slick in a 2wd Configuration.

We are building a 74 LUV truck right now for Ice Drags. I will see what pics I can get posted!!!

Oh yeah I for got to mention its 33X17 tires on it with leaf springs no 4 link for us!!!!!!!!!

You might want to check The Diesel Page. Jim Bigley put a Dmax in an older 1/2 ton chevy and the electronics were tough, put in a dmax dash to help the electronics part. There are ton of good articles on how he did it in his forum. I have seen it run and the torque makes the frame twist and he is only running about 500rwhp, (or at least he was last time I checked). I doubt that Caltraxs will handle what you are going to do with that light a frame and truck.

I dont know if you were referring to me on this or not, an am sorrry if I did. I am not being defensive by any means in anyway. Just letting you know we have been working with stock suspension leaf springs an 10.5" tires a long time an been able to make them work so far.

I do know one thing, if I can get a F350 to wheelstand (both wheels) an 60` 1.49, an weigh 6350 with 3530 lbs of it on the front end with a 11" tire, a Luv truck with a 17" tire shouldnt be a problem!!!!

My personal street car is a Dodge Challenger that 60`s 1.30 with leaf springs an a 10.5" tire.

I am in no way doubting your opinion, just letting you know it can be done thats all. If in any way I can be of any help PM me. Thanks.

I know of a certain Longbed that didnt weigh that much with a cage. You guys carrying ballast in the back?

No its a complete truck we havent removed anything from it. Everything is still in it!!!!!!! heater, ac, everything!!!! No ballast!!!! Its heavy enuff!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate electronics...it is the part I am worried about the most.....I was thinking of putting in a cummins 12V cause they seem to swap into anything(sorry!:kick: ) but I didn't like the fact I would be putting in a big boat anchor over the front wheels plus they need turbos and other stuff to be fun....oh well I'll deal with it when I get there....the frame I am not too worried about besides if I break it it's not like it's a valuable classic or something

Cummins are heavy, but they do tend to run faster LOL

stuckey.jpg

Back