Drive line vibration

Yooper75

Life sucks, get a helmet!
I have a vibration that is driving me nuts lately, I have had the following things done to the truck in the last two months. The truck has 170,000 miles on it and towed all it's life so the transmission has had a hard life and I don't take the truck off roading so I know I didn't bend anything.

rear drive shaft U-joins
front axle joints
ball joints upper and lower
new tires

The truck has been back to the dealer for them to look at it again and they rebalanced the tires and reindexed the drive shaft it's better but it's not gone. The next thing I tried was the tune I was running in the truck and that didn't fix it and if anything it made it a little worse when I switched from IDP's towing tune back to the Extrem Street. So I got to thinking and started paying attention to when it shows up and it's always in 4th and 5th and never 1st through 3rd and it happens between 1500 and 1700 RPM at highway speeds. So what I am wonder is, can a torque converter on it's way out cause a drive line vibration like this? I looked for anything obvious yesterday when I changed the oil and I checked the transmission fluid it was full, bright, red and clean. I am at a loss as to what could be causing this vibration and open to suggestions as to where and what to look for because I am all out of ideas.

You feeling it in the steering wheel or the seat. I had a consistent vibration between 46 and 50 mph. There was a TSB on this issue and the dealer installed a counter weight in the rear of the truck near the OEM hitch. It's a weird looking bracket with a weigh that is suspended in the middle and it is supposed to eliminate this cause. Did it? I don't really know probably a mental thing but I also changed tires about a year ago and no longer even think about it anymore. It has some weight to it. But the service mgr offered to let me drive any truck on the lot and they all shake. He claims its due to the weight and length of the trucks. I don't know but its gone for now. Good luck in your quest, its going to be a challenge. *bdh*Steve

I feel it coming through the seat and and accelerator.

Back