Drive shaft vibration

Mooring Product

I just don't care
I just went from an add a leaf and small block to just a block. I'm getting a minor vibration when I leave so I pulled two shims out of the carrier bairing. It still has a vibration. I also put Fab Tech bars on it.

What degree should the drive shaft be at? Does anyone have my set up? How many shims do you have.(Inches)

Stock 250 springs with 5" F450 block. 4" lift.

Go to some of the aftermarket driveshaft suppliers sites, and they usually have the info for properly adjusting the driveline angles. After my lift(F-350 blocks), I could not get rid of a vibe that it had, and all my angles are shimmed close to perfect, tried traction bars(pokin' and hopin'), no luck. Got a custom shaft made and it is as smooth as any vehicle I've driven.

I think that you can shim it all you want, but the issue is the angle of the carrier bearing. I know on mine, my angles are great, but it puts the bearing at a very odd angle which is causing premature wear. I think I am going to try OUO carrier bearing drop kit which allows for angle adjustments as well...

I have never really liked the idea of a one piece shaft with these big heavy trucks and if you still use the truck for towing. There is a reason that all commercial trucks use a multi-piece shaft.

I had a 4" lift on it before this. I was tired of the bounce with the add a leaf, so I went with this new set up and it rides much better. The truck was dialed in perfect with the old set up. I just can't get it right again.
There must be a set degree that the drive shaft should be at. I've searched around but have had no luck.

There must be a set degree that the drive shaft should be at. I've searched around but have had no luck.

Simply put, each truck will be a bit different. You obviously have a problem and you're going to have to check your angles. On a non-CV style driveshaft the angles need to be the same at each end of the shaft or else you will have vibration.

Here is a good tech article on driveshafts: http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-shaft/index.html

I think that you can shim it all you want, but the issue is the angle of the carrier bearing. I know on mine, my angles are great, but it puts the bearing at a very odd angle which is causing premature wear. I think I am going to try OUO carrier bearing drop kit which allows for angle adjustments as well...

I have never really liked the idea of a one piece shaft with these big heavy trucks and if you still use the truck for towing. There is a reason that all commercial trucks use a multi-piece shaft.

Yes, OUO is definately the way to go. infinite adjustability. We're doing another 3rd gen Dodge this weekend.

http://www.oneupoffroad.com/ouoproducts/drivelinedrop.html

456_DLD_3.5_R4.2.jpg

550_100_3534.JPG

OUO has 2 Piece CV Drivelines in stock for Ford F250/350 4door long boxes and 4door short box automatic trucks for $799.00 ( most likely, pinion angle adjustment is needed )

Carrier drop is 175.00 to match OUO drive shafts and is mandatory.
High quality shafts with spicer parts.

$500.00 Core, we need your parts back!
Shipped UPS with a return label for your old shaft.

Is a new shaft really necessary on a 4" lift? That seems like overkill to me but I'm certainly no lift guru.

No chit. I had the same lift just changed it a little.

Old set up was a add a leaf and a 2 1/2 inch block with the stock block,
- zero vibration

New set up is a 5" block with stock springs.
- vibration

I just need to figure out the right angle so I can put the proper shims in or pull out. :bang

That vibration is exactly why I put the f-550 springs under my Excursion. I had lifted it with dodge blocks and the axle brackets so that I could flip the u-bolts but I created a vibration. I realized the Dodge blocks didn't have the slight angle that the Ford blocks do. So I put the stock blocks back on with the 550 springs and still keeping the u-bolts flipped and no vibration. I kept the same if not higher rear lift from the combo but my d-shaft is right in line with the pinion.

Did the same thing on a friend of mine's '99. We stuck 5'' blocks in the back and an add a leaf. Only got the vibe of take off. It was minor but would drive you crazy. Put a new carrier bearing in and a 2 degree shim and the vibe cleared right up. He got the shims from ORU less than fifty bucks if I remember.

lift

every inch you go you have to shim it down 1/8 inch:rockwoot:

Back