Dropping a 12v in an 02

cetaneaddict

Causing my own headaches
Well my trail of bad luck keeps going. Friday headed out to dinner in my 02 I noticed a light haze of smoke rolling out of the hood. I pull over and smell diesel fuel. It was spraying out the breather. Shut the truck off check the oil, it's full of diesel. Got it towed home. Pulled the breather off started the truck and fuel was spraying out. front seal on the vp44 failed. Did some thinking. I have a complete 98 12v storm block. It's studded, 60# valve springs, HD push rods. I located a injection pump and all of the parts needed to make it complete running motor. So what do I need to make it work correctly with my 02 wiring ? I know the APPS throttle kit so the cruise control will work. How should I go about picking up the crank signal for the tach? Trying to make my gauges work correctly. The truck is a 6 speed so no transmission wiring issues. Also what can I do to my airdog 150 to get it up too p pump pressure ? It's currently running vp pressures. How should the fuel shut off solenoid be wired in?

Last edited:
You'll need a tone ring for the damper with the correct number of teeth and a sensor. I had to make a bracket to mount the sensor when I put a 12v in my buddies 99. Shutoff solenoid needs power from the starter during cranking and a key on power source. Also, you'll need to put all the sensors out of your 02 into the 98 motor with adapters as necessary and modify the harness if need be. You may not need adapters with the STORM block though. I was putting straight metric o ring fittings into an older 12v engine that had all pipe thread sensor ports. Any questions just PM me or quote me so I get a notification and I'll do my best to answer them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll need a tone ring for the damper with the correct number of teeth and a sensor. I had to make a bracket to mount the sensor when I put a 12v in my buddies 99. Shutoff solenoid needs power from the starter during cranking and a key on power source. Also, you'll need to put all the sensors out of your 02 into the 98 motor with adapters as necessary and modify the harness if need be. You may not need adapters with the STORM block though. I was putting straight metric o ring fittings into an older 12v engine that had all pipe thread sensor ports. Any questions just PM me or quote me so I get a notification and I'll do my best to answer them.

I have the stock 12v dampener for the motor. I was planning on using that. Then buying a crank positioning sensor. Then trying to wire the sensor if possible ?

I have the stock 12v dampener for the motor. I was planning on using that. Then buying a crank positioning sensor. Then trying to wire the sensor if possible ?

24v is going to be looking for the factory waveform for the gauge to operate properly. I believe it was like 36 tooth with a large gap to show TDC but don't quote me on the tooth count. 12v damper only has the two notches

Actually yours being an 02 should use the cam sensor. It won't have a crank sensor but you'll have to modify the p pump timing case to accept the cam sensor I believe

being that it's a storm block, it will have the same crank sensor hole in the block as a 24v does, but it's plugged. It may or may not have a tone ring on the crank, I've seen them both ways.

Though if you need a cam signal. that's irrelevant.

Well the 12v is sitting on the stand. I will look at it tomorrow. Pull the plug and see if it has a tone ring. Also I know in the p pump kit for the 24 they have an adaptor for crank positioning sensor.
http://cppdiesel.com/cam-sensor-adapter/

Last edited:
I had that happen, filled the motor with fuel. Didn't hurt the motor and it had diesel blowing out the blow by for about 70 miles. Did you change the oil and see if it's hurt?

Why not just buy another vp? Sounds like a faster fix to me.

I've had nothing but problems with both vp trucks I've owned. I'm partial to the p pump. I like the simplicity and the cheap power factor. I have most of the parts on their way. I'm going to try and make it work. I want to one and done this thing. Ordered a dual disk clutch yesterday. With my luck lately the main bearings might have gotten hurt. Current motor has 388k on it.

I had that happen, filled the motor with fuel. Didn't hurt the motor and it had diesel blowing out the blow by for about 70 miles. Did you change the oil and see if it's hurt?

I probably went 2-3 miles before I figured out what had happened. I changed the oil when I got it towed home. I should say changed the diesel. It has only has about 2 mins of run time with new oil and the vp still dumping fuel.

Your '02 doesn't use the crank sensor. You can either use a cam sensor and an appropriately toothed tone wheel on the 12V damper or you'll need a 24V cam gear and the adapter you linked to. The 12V gear doesn't have the holes in it for the cam sensor to read. I'm sure it could be machined to work, though.

Your '02 doesn't use the crank sensor. You can either use a cam sensor and an appropriately toothed tone wheel on the 12V damper.

How would I go about this ? I guess I'm slow don't know how I would do this.

treat this like a p-pump swap on a 24v. cam sensor adapter and swap the cam gear in from the 02. mount the ecm and swap all the sensors from the 24v onto the 12v. carl sells an apps kit too.

treat this like a p-pump swap on a 24v. cam sensor adapter and swap the cam gear in from the 02. mount the ecm and swap all the sensors from the 24v onto the 12v. carl sells an apps kit too.

What's the easiest way to remove/install a cam gear ?

I was hoping to do the cam in the freezer and the cam gear in the oven it slide on?

I'm hoping they are both keyed. Otherwise it's going to be fun degreeing the cam.

Back