Dry Ice Intercooler

Thekid760

Has anyone used one?

I'm looking into oprions for a (eek!) non-diesel :bang:ft: race application. Just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas or experiences with them.

They seem to be a non contact type as you'd have to deal with venting the Co2.

craig.jpg

ice_mist_m.jpg

The only two companies I found so far:

http://www.dryiceintercoolers.com/

ARE Cooling

A few more Pictures i found on the net:

D152icCelica.jpg

iceboxangle.jpg

Yes it doubles as a beer cooler too!

1488385172_0fbcf72907.jpg

Any input is appreciated.

If i am not mistaken g and j diesel is using one, as well asthe canadian 67-68 chevy with twins... But they may just fill with ice and not dry ice.

I have always wondered the same thing..wish I had some imput on it. I mean it would have to work awesome!!

I would be looking for 2 things from the folks selling this if I were a potential buyer....

1) how do you keep them from icing when you're struck in a long line (and/or where does all the condensate go?) Midsummer night will make a ton of water/ice if the engine runs for any length of time (think of how an air conditioner freezes solid if you keep running moist air over the exchanger).

2) show me graphs of the manifold temps over a pass (with a car with similar boost and CID) to show me that the heat transfer really hangs in there. With a liquid you have 100% contact of the cooling fluid and you can pump it in various ways to reduce the boundary layer that slows heat transfer. How do you maintain contact with a solid chunk that can't contact the exchanger 100% in the first place, then turns directly into a gas? Yes the air is coooold to start (and you have no control over it unfortunately).....show me how well it works down track.

Just quick thoughts. I have seen these but I don't think they would be good for my app (sledpulling).

And FWIW the PWR cores have always looked terrible to me. Go look at a Garrett or Bell core and those aren't even close in terms of fin area....

Last edited:
Good points. My App is Bonneville.

I have very limited space for a a/w and an a/a just wont cut it. This seems best (if it actually works) as there's no need for a reservoir, heat exchanger, pump etc. and I can keep it all in the bodywork to help the aero.

Misspelling courtesy of my fat fingers...

Good points. My App is Bonneville.

I have very limited space for a a/w and an a/a just wont cut it. This seems best (if it actually works) as there's no need for a reservoir, heat exchanger, pump etc. and I can keep it all in the bodywork to help the aero.

10-4. I know the weight savings must be a real draw but you're on the gas for long periods of time, moving a ton of CFM.....I would maybe think of getting a BIG one or doubling up the existing ones.

If you're real smart, you can run a calc that says you need to cool X CFM of air from Y to Z and figure out the weight of dry ice you need to consume.

Could you use liquid CO2 and expand it within the IC? The latent heat provided by the phase change is pretty damn high. You'd have heavy bottles to start with but you'd be losing weight fast!!

Last edited:
Ive thought of spraying co2. You would need to keep it contained and have an exhaust tube for it. You cant be sucking any of in into the intake. Ive looked into both that and dry ice, but thought is as far as ive gone with it.

Actually weight isnt that much of a concern at Bonneville, not like in most other racing.

My main draw to it is simplicity, and as stated physical space. I am very limited to what I can reasonably add so this seems to fit the bill.

But obviously it needs to work first.

And yes, Full throttle for 3 miles straight running a 3.0-3.5 PR on a gasser is no joke.

My biggest concern over anything here is putting the fire out.....but I'm still very interested

Found this on another forum about a diesel pulling truck:

I had a customer try a PWR cooler like that with Evans coolant and dry ice on a pulling truck. Honestly it did not work very good. A PT2400 intercooler with a traditional ice water setup was far more effective according to the datalogs. I don't think the dry ice was the problem. That tubing core is way down on surface area from traditional plate style core. Compressor discharge temps at the end of a pull could as high as 350F. With PWR setup intake temps at the end would would never be below 200F. The PT2400 could easily keep intake temps under 100F. Also Honk is correct about to cool from what I have seen. The above mentioned truck did not like temps under 60F

You don't have enough room for a/w and a reservoir? Fill with ice and go, the larger the tank the more time you have.

It will be on a 250cc motorcycle, very space limited as is. and after 3 miles I'm doubtful the water will still be cool.

I need to finish the motor then dyno it to see exactly what I'm working with for IAT's.

Just looking into alternatives to traditional a/a or a/w.

It will be on a 250cc motorcycle, very space limited as is. and after 3 miles I'm doubtful the water will still be cool.

I need to finish the motor then dyno it to see exactly what I'm working with for IAT's.

Just looking into alternatives to traditional a/a or a/w.

On landracing.com a fella built his tail fairing behind the seat into a water box to fill with ice and water and ran a heat exchanger in side it to cool his engine. He had excellent results. At 250cc the airflow required will be tiny and it might even be hard to find a waic that small. But a small pump circulating through ought to to the job.

Correct, at optimum I should only require 125-175 cfm's depending on which fuel I'm running.

Smallest a/w I have found is 4"x6" round rated to 390 CFM. Trying to get temps below ambient if at all possible.

My concern is if I can only get a gallon or less in the reservoir will that keep cool till the end of the 3rd mile?

Yes I know, only one way to find out.

Just more thoughts....

Put an A/W unit on it for the dyno. Use a garbage can of water for the fluid and monitor the temp. See what ~40F intake manifold temp buys you vs 100F (add warm water) or whatever conditions Bonneville is going to present....then decide how nuts to go with the project from there.

Garbage can will not be an equal representaion of what he would see at bonneville. The heat load that 35ish gallons of water can take is muuuuccchh higher than one gallon of ice water. He would need to start with a milk jug.

With mostly ice and a little water for coverage, or dry ice and alcohol in the tank, you would be suprised. If your turbo is fairly efficient, you may not put that much heat into the cooling water.
Radiator in tank sizing question
One link
Another
I need help with getting air into the bum stop on my motorcycle.

Last edited:
Garbage can will not be an equal representaion of what he would see at bonneville. The heat load that 35ish gallons of water can take is muuuuccchh higher than one gallon of ice water. He would need to start with a milk jug.

*for dyno purposes only, with the volume large enough to keep the runs consistent.

Point is, prove to yourself how much you can get, an then decide how many pesos are worth investing in a system that will get him to that point.

Back