DT 466 F350 All purpose build w/ real intent on completion.

parkland

Hi guys,

I'm new here, and I joined because I'm looking for input that I suspect a few of you might be able to help with.

My story:
I currently have a 2008 CC 6.4 ford, and It's a pretty cool truck with the spartan tuner on it.
However, I've recently had a "revelation".... I need a new truck for work, and after test driving a bunch of new diesels, I just feel like my passion lies with old school engines. The new powerstrokes, duramax's, and cummins just aren't doing anything for me.
So, I am leasing a crappy gas truck for work, and building a diesel project truck at home. I'm not "trust fund" rich, but I have a decent income, and modest household expenses, so I do think I can afford to do this.

My goal:
I want to buy a 2008-2010 ford superduty, with a blown engine, and transplant a DT 466 in it, and modify the truck's drivetrain to match the power output. I don't want a high revving sled pull machine, or a racing truck, just a DD with gobs of TQ and some decent power. 3000 RPM red line is what I'm after, and about 400 HP, which should feel plenty powerful with that engine.
I've chosen those years of truck, because they are easy to take the cab off, and also very comfortable. I don't want to pour money into some truck that's 10 or 20 years old if I'm planning to drive it for a long time. I also believe the rad/ intercooler on the 6.4 truck will be usable for the DT at the power levels I'm shooting for.

I'm going to list in point format, different objectives/ questions that I will spill what I think I know, and ask for input also:

-Engine size:
From what I've read and measured, I believe the 466 SHOULD fit in the new SD without an engine fan, and firewall mods, but WITH the rad / intercooler assembly present. Depending on exact placement of engine, and year of engine, a hood cowl might be required to clear air plumbing on the engine. Likewise, a custom oil pan might need to be made to provide clearance under the engine.

-Transmission:
There are a lot of options, but I really want to know what 6-sp stick shift will go behind the 466 and hold that kind of TQ. I've heard all kinds of suggestions with transmissions that range in cost from 500$ to 20,000$.... I really need some good honest answers on that.

-Transfer case:
From what I think I know, a divorced transfer case will be the best option. Unfortunately every driveshaft on this sucker will have to be custom made, arrrgghh.

-Differentials:
This is another thing that I can't find good information on. Some say stock ford axles would work, but I would really like something that will last a long time and take the beating of crappy roads and offroading. I'd rather spend a little more and not need an alignment every few months.

-Gear ratio's:
This is something that I currently don't even know how I'm going to accomplish. I want to have the engine run 1300-1500 RPM's at 60 mph. With an engine this size, it should push the truck just fine, and I can drop a gear to tow with.

-Engine performance:
I think that with the power levels I have in mind, I should'nt need any internal modifications. I am planning to find an engine, give it a full rebuild, and call it good. I am very interested in using 2 stock p-pumps to deliver fuel. The primary one would have timing set around 20* or so, and the secondary could deliver fuel right at TDC. I would connect the 2 pumps with high pressure fittings so that they share the same injector lines. Is there a kit available to run 2 pumps? Would it be more cost effective to use p7100 pumps? and is there a kit available to do so?
Will a 6.4 turbo setup likely work for this? Or should I think about a different setup? I don't want a giant turbo that takes all day to spool, I want something that makes big boost from low RPM's, so that the engine feels very powerful accross the entire RPM range.

-Truck electrical modifications:
I think the hardest part is going to be getting the truck guages and other electrical parts to work properly. Maybe the easiest way to do this, is leave the PCM in the truck, pull out the check engine light, and try to adapt the speed sensors etc to the new engine/ transmission?

Thanks for any ideas in advance.
I have transplanted engines before, but nothing this involved, difficult, or expensive. As I said before, the newer diesel engines just don't rub me the right way, so this is my solution.
I know a cummins transplant would be a bit easier, but heck I just don't feel like doing that.
I know this can be done, I've just never seen a build like this. There are a few low budget 466 hack job transplants I've seen, and some nice expensive as hell sled pull builds, but nothing I've seen as far as a newer truck used as a daily driver.

My expectations of this project are to spend roughly around 40,000$, and have a truck that is special, powerful, and everything I want.

:Cheer:

-Engine performance:
I think that with the power levels I have in mind, I should'nt need any internal modifications. I am planning to find an engine, give it a full rebuild, and call it good. I am very interested in using 2 stock p-pumps to deliver fuel. The primary one would have timing set around 20* or so, and the secondary could deliver fuel right at TDC. I would connect the 2 pumps with high pressure fittings so that they share the same injector lines. Is there a kit available to run 2 pumps? Would it be more cost effective to use p7100 pumps? and is there a kit available to do so?

:Cheer:

Great idea. A pair of 215 pumps should be able to supply enough fuel for 430hp, as they are rated at 215hp each.

Great idea. A pair of 215 pumps should be able to supply enough fuel for 430hp, as they are rated at 215hp each.

Yes, that is what I'm thinking. I've also been told that getting pumps modified can reduce lifespan, which is cool with a pulling truck, but not a truck that I want to last a long time.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbvbSNfc-5s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbvbSNfc-5s[/ame]

I'd definitely connect the 2 fuel lines near the pumps, instead of having 12 injection lines run over to the injectors though.

You can do more than 400HP on a single lightly modified (read free mod) ppump. And get a lot of miles out of it. Ron is pulling you chain.
The 2 pumps are unnecessary expense labor and headache.
Other than that sounds like fun. Enjoy!

Yes. Single pump with minimal tweaking would make 400 easily without sacrificing reliability.

You can do more than 400HP on a single lightly modified (read free mod) ppump. And get a lot of miles out of it. Ron is pulling you chain.
The 2 pumps are unnecessary expense labor and headache.
Other than that sounds like fun. Enjoy!

I do believe you can get 400 HP, but not at the RPM's I'm looking at.
I think the mods you're thinking of involve governor aadjustments?
400 and some HP is quitee a bit of pump volume if you want it at 3000 RPM's isn't it?
I am very unknowledged about these style of pumps, I have no clue of which setup would be more desireable to what I want to do.

The reason I thought 2 pumps might be better is that:

1. Inject at different times. I can have the primary pump inject with some high advanced timing for mileage and power, with the 2nd injecting after, for added power when needed only. Only the 1st pump would be injecting during idle and moderate throttle. The 2nd would start injecting during the 2'nd half of throttle output.

2. Doesn't custom pump work cost 3000- 5000$ ? It just seemed to me that a dual pump setup could be completed for that or maybe less, and run pumps that don't need special shops to work on if one gets damaged.

3. Even though I'm not going for high power, by comparison, the power I want is at low RPM's so it would be a TON of fuel, so if I went with a single pump, would the injectors handle all the fuel at once, or would I need to upgrade to larger ones that smoke badly at idle?

4. I did contact hypermax at one point in time, and to get a 466dt at approximately 1000HP, the cost was about 10,000$ I need to keep in mind that if I'm even flirting with that number, somethings wrong with my plan altogether.

When I say these things, keep in mind that even though it mind sound like I'm TELLING, I'm really ASKING :bang

Like they said, dual p-pumps would be much more expensive and completely unnecessary for what you are looking for. Save yourself time, money and headaches. Cool project though, good luck with it.

So 400 is completely doable on 1 pump with some pump mods and maybe bigger injectors

Like they said, dual p-pumps would be much more expensive and completely unnecessary for what you are looking for. Save yourself time, money and headaches. Cool project though, good luck with it.

Thank you.

For what I want, I honestly don't know what the best way to modify this engine would be. Heck, what about a newer HEUI engine with hybrid injectors?

Keep it mechanical, 100%. Less problems and with fine tuning is more effective

So 400 is completely doable on 1 pump with some pump mods and maybe bigger injectors

It SHOULD be, essentially since the stock engine is around 200 HP @ 2600rpm, and I'm looking for AROUND 400 HP @ 3000rpm, the desired max fuel flow should be about double, right?

From what I gather, the stock fuel system on the p-pump engines including injjectors is good to about 600 HP, but that's with the governor opened up to 4000-4500 rpm's. Being that I have no intention on getting wound up that high, I will need to move a LOT of fuel. The injectors are border lined almost "not enough", but I really don't want to switch them out for ones that smoke and haze bad when idling.

Keep it mechanical, 100%. Less problems and with fine tuning is more effective

Ok, so far the double injection pump looks like a stupid / non cost effective idea for my goal.

So what options do I have to move roughly 2x the fuel, without sacrificing pump lifespan?

Fuel plates and injectors and some afc tuning, that is a big engine, it wil make the power down low for you no problem, just get it rebuilt like you were taking about, put a62mm or 64mm charger on it, lightly worked pump and some injectors and I bet you get your 400 easy

Ok, so far the double injection pump looks like a stupid / non cost effective idea for my goal.

So what options do I have to move roughly 2x the fuel, without sacrificing pump lifespan?

You dont need twice the fuel to get to 400 hp. Pump lifespan isnt even a concern

Fuel plates and injectors and some afc tuning, that is a big engine, it wil make the power down low for you no problem, just get it rebuilt like you were taking about, put a62mm or 64mm charger on it, lightly worked pump and some injectors and I bet you get your 400 easy

"afc tuning" ??

If they can push 600 HP out of these things with stock injectors @ 4000 RPM, it seems like I'd be close to the limit with 400hp @ 3000 rpm, what happens if a p-pump pushes too much fuel, is there a safety valve or could it blow lines or injectors apart?

I will look up the turbochargers you spoke of. Thanks. :Cheer:

You dont need twice the fuel to get to 400 hp. Pump lifespan isnt even a concern

No, I guess you're right. That would be because the mechanical drag is not increasing?

I don't really understand what gets done to a pump to modify it, so I ask when you say that lifespan isn't a concern, do you mean that modifying them does not effect lifespan?

I was told otherwise, but might have been misenformed. :bang

Use the search function at the top of the page. There is tons of threads about moding p-pumps on here. If we can make a 1000hp reliablly with the pumps your 400 isnt even making it sweat

Back