DT360, DT466, or Cat 3126?

Ibuildembig

Comp Diesel Sponsor
So I have a 68 F350 CC project I've been working on and off for a few years and had it setup for 12V cummins but I'm thinking I want to swap in something else. I'm researching the DT motors and the Cats as well and wanted to see what you all thought about it. I'm afraid if I put a 5.9 in it I will be forced to all kinds of mods to it and make it unreliable and just plain stupid to drive lol. This is gonna be a DD and used to pull alot. Its already bagged in the front and low air leafed in the back. Thanks for all the input!

3126 makes a great boat anchor, I wouldn't touch it for something I was going to drive on purpose. I've always had a thing for DT engines, I'd really like a DT466 for my next build. That said with an old ford pickup I'd be tempted to go with a Ford/New holland Brazilian 6.6 or 7.8. They have done very well for us in farm trucks, and to be able to pop your hood and have another ford oval on the valve cover would be cool IMHO.

How crazy you want to get? I've been told comparable to a 5.9 or better for the 6.6, and comparable to the DT466 for the 7.8, they are built pretty stout from the factory.

800 or so foot pounds reliably. Would you choose that over a DT? Also, have any idea what bell housing pattern they use?

Last edited:
800 ft/lb? That is like a 12v with the fuel plate slid forward. Aim higher, that is weak sauce.

Back