Dual disk clutch questions

JSPulliam21

We Don't Rent Pigs
I am looking at a dual disk clutch from Valair, but I have a couple of questions. I will use this truck as a daily driver, pull a boat in the summer, 4 wheel it some, and sled pull a few times a year. I need advice on plate load, who has the best input shaft, and whether I need the bronze insert flywheel or not. Any dual disk experience will be helpful. Thanks!

3850 plate load, the input shafts are all the same, the inlay is just for ease of rebuild and cheaper to replace other than the whole flywheel. Peter says that the feramic material requires the inlay for it to grab which to me means prematuraly wearing out the inlay but i dont know. I do everthing with mine that you listed and have had no problems. Go big, do it once and be done with it. Tim

If your gonna spend the money on a DD, go with southbend. Not really that much more than the brand you listed and Peter's customer service is second to none! Have southbend in both of my trucks, and will run them in anymore I may have

I wonder if the bronze inserts would wear faster than the standard flywheel, and thus necessitate replacing them more often at a greater cost than replacing the flywheel less often. The Valairs are ceramic, not feramic, so I don't see the "need" for the inserts if I am not pulling the clutch a lot. These are all good thoughts. Thanks GUYS!

My DD from SBC has the feramic inlay on the flywheel, the clutch is also sprung hub ceramic clutch.

When its time for my truck to get a clutch nothings going in my truck but a South Bend.

:evil

A guy I know who is a dealer for ValAir said that recently Dan's customer service has gone downhill quite a bit and he is debating whether or not to drop them.

Go South Bend.

You want the bronze inserts on the flywheel.
There is no increase in wear over the steel faced flywheel.

In fact for street driving the bronze inserted flywheel will prevent clutch facing material build up on the flywheel face. With a regular steel faced dd you run the risk of material build up on the steel face from hot spots.

The Bronze inserted DD's have several advantages over a regular steel face.

i got the 3600 southbend dd 12 button and it drive real smooth i have a bout 8 pulls on it and no problems

That's the thing...once you have the clutch, you'll start pulling more...might as well have it set once, and set up right....

And SBC has spent a LOT of time getting their setup right, and their customer service is 2nd to none.

A guy I know who is a dealer for ValAir said that recently Dan's customer service has gone downhill quite a bit and he is debating whether or not to drop them.

Go South Bend.

I have spoken to Dan many times, he has fantastic customer service. I think Ill finally write up my experience with the dealer I tried to get it from. Me and Dan exchanged phone call almost daily, incluing weekends. To sort out the problem I had with the dealer. I have spoken to Peter too, both great people to deal with.

I got the 3850 dual disk with solid hub and bronze inserts. HEAVY on the pedal but, smooth on the street. Has done great for me, and my left leg can kick a football 300yd. now.LOL

Give Peter at South Bend a call. It's all I ever run, and is the only clutch that I recommend to customers & friends ...

If you have made up your mind, I won't try to change it but as far as plate load I run a 3250 (but I don't have any experience/comparison with Valairs)and have since 02/early 03 it's been great hard to tell it's a DD! I went from stock clutch to this and I feel very lucky, also I was down around 400rwhp at the time it was put in and has been as high as 692 but mainly right at 600! Good luck to ya!

I've talked with dan and kevin many times and never had any problems. Not trying to knock anyone else's good products, but southbend isn't the only company capable of making a good clutch. Do some research, make some clutches, test them, if they work-sell em, if they don't-back to the drawing board till they work, have good customer service to stand behind the products. Not that this is easy, it takes hard work to get somewhere in life, but it can be done.

Jordan

mopar or no car, i agree with you. Peter is a good guy with great products but some people are so far up his ass, its not even funny. We all have our own thoughts and experiances, but if you offer them, it aint right because its not a southbend. The thing that gets me is people will buy a clutch after reading these threads and boom, best clutch made and the rest are junk. I have ran, drove and pulled just about every clutch but a valair, but not once will i say there stuff is junk until i try one for myself. Southbend has there fair share of problems just like the others, which they take care of through good customer service and that is all we can ask for. my .02$ Tim

I have a ValAir single disk in my truck rated at 500hp and it is holding great! Been in the truck for almost two years now with a lot of boosted launches and sledpulling type take-offs in the dirt. I would like to think my truck is making over 500rwhp and close to 600rwhp. I have spoke to Dan several times on the phone, sometimes for no other reason than to BS and he has always helped me out and has always provided great customer service.

Yes I am sure Peter builds a nice clutch also but why is it everyone thinks he is the only one who can? Dan has been making a great name for himself and ValAir as a company the last few years, and it has been done by providing a great product at an affordable price! I paid around $500 for my clutch shipped to my door, a comparable South Bend would have been around $750 or so.

IMO Dan and ValAir have clutches that can compete with any other manufacturer's and can do the job with a lower price tag than them. I plan on running a dual disk from them in my truck but I have some things to pay off first :(

Back