Duals vs. Single tires

Leadfoot

Here to learn
As to respect the O.P. in another thread who did not want to start a debate in his rules/poll thread, I thought I would start this.

In response to:
I don't see the point in not allowing duals? Of course I will admit I am a little biased since my puller is a DRW truck.

I think the rules need to focus on limiting the power.

There have been ALOT of post regarding how to go to duals, which duals, what spacers, etc. etc., debates on should duals be allowed, one guy asking how to go to SRW from DRW to meet rules (which had no responses by the way), etc. so I thought a discussion as to why the rule started would be good fro the community....

The dual issue has been around A LONG time in the gasser world, and I know guys on here say it's a diesel class, not a gas class, and that's true, but the reason for not allowing duals has nothing to do as to what's in the fuel tank. In some cases it's a Perception = Reality, and the perception is duals = more traction.

And then there are areas where duals ARE an advantage. More tire, more traction (especially on tracks with limited traction). Unlike wheelbase (crewcab, ex-cab, longbed, shortbed, etc.) tires are EASY to change and/or tech. Many clubs use hitch percentage to even out wheelbase, but there is no easy "handicap" for duals vs. non duals (I have seen pulls where there is a weight penalty for running duals). Everyone who pulls competitively does not use "stock tires", so changing tires should be a NON issue (one of the easiest things to change). I know it sucks for guys who run dually's daily as they have to change, but on a dedicated rig it should be no issue. I used to change 4 tires (32 lug nuts) at every pull (twice) as I had dedicated tires for my rig that never saw street, plus change hitches, suspension stops, torsion bars, etc. etc. so changing 16 lug nuts would actually be easy (if you are serious about pulling).

I know it sucks for guys with dually's having to swap tires, but imagine how the regular cab guys feel in a non hanging weight class......as they have no option to change their wheelbase or ballast location (legally).

There is the option of allowing all trucks (dually or non dually) to run six tires as well. The problem then becomes one of legality and safety. Most states (if not all), you cannot run an uncovered tire and some would argue it's a safety issue on the track as well. Are guys using proper techniques and materials to run duals on the rear properly? Added cost as axleshafts take more abuse etc.

It's easier/safer to limit the number of tires than teching "add ons" and could even get into insurance issues as well (as if we don't have enough, for those that actually have had to deal first hand with motorsports insurance coverage).

Your statement about limiting power is true, one way to keep power in check is by limiting weight and tires (as everyone seems set against restrictor plates or other EASY ways to limit power beyond workstock and 2.5 classes). You can only put so much power to the ground given a specific weight and tire restriction (traction and physics). Diesels by nature are heavier than gassers so running 6200 lbs. is not an option, the only other way to limit power transfer to the ground is by limiting the number of tires (4 vs 6) as well as size and width (although most clubs don't specify width restrictions). Limiting tires will limit the power you can put to the track. So you are limiting power by limiting the amount of power you can transfer......although it is azzbackwards, it's what we have to work with considering the current turbo rules way of thinking.

If you notice the gasser classes usually don't change weight (most are 6200)as they go with more power, they lessen the restrictions on tires. Or another way of looking at it, is they restrict tires more in the lower classes to limit how much power can be put to the track in an effort to limit how far people push the HP limits (and in turn make them focus on setup and track reading). HP does no good if you can't hook it.

There are many things we can't control as puller, organizers, promotors, etc. but tires are EASY.

I have seen many trucks that "turn ugly" when running singles on a dually bed, so I understand the issue many guys have when their trucks look silly, stupid, or gay....., but I have also seen it been an advantage (for the true competitor) as they track better (more offset) and seen guys with singles on a dually that looked fricken sweet with spacers, offsets, or super single rims. If it's soley from an asthetic perspective, there are ways to make it look non "goofy". It all depends on how dedicated you are.

Super Single Wheels | Brush Fire Trucks > 1st Attack - Custom Emergency Vehicles, Brush Fire Trucks

Dually conversion - Duramax Diesels Forum

For those that were around pulling before diesels (yes there was a time before competitive diesels in pulling), was there any other reasons this trend "started" that you know of (not hearsay)?

I have been trying for over a year to find someone that will build me a set of 12 inch wide dually wheels...good luck with that...

I have been trying for over a year to find someone that will build me a set of 12 inch wide dually wheels...good luck with that...

You need to look a little harder! Google is your friend, took me 5 minutes. LOL!

I know where a set of 10" wide dodge dually wheels are...The guy that did them did a very nice job.

What needs to be realized is that the 2.6" Class in no longer a street class, or even close to resembling one. Rather than choke this class back, we should work on making the Work Stock class more accessible and more evenly regulated.

Work Stock
Factory DRW - 255/10.5" section width limit
Factory SRW - 285/11.5" section width limit

2.6" Diesel
DOT 315/12.5" section width limit

3.0" Diesel
Modified DOT 35"/12.5-14.5" section width limit

Last edited:
some places they are still street driven trucks that are modded up. we dont allow hanging weights and we allow drws. i dont understand how some says oem and then dont want a 3500 dually to run.

You need to look a little harder! Google is your friend, took me 5 minutes. LOL!

I mean locally and for a decent price...I am not paying over 1000 bucks for 4 wheels and those wheels are still using factory centers...

I know where a set of 10" wide dodge dually wheels are...The guy that did them did a very nice job.

Got any pics, I may be interested...

As to respect the O.P. in another thread who did not want to start a debate in his rules/poll thread, I thought I would start this.

In response to:

There have been ALOT of post regarding how to go to duals, which duals, what spacers, etc. etc., debates on should duals be allowed, one guy asking how to go to SRW from DRW to meet rules (which had no responses by the way), etc. so I thought a discussion as to why the rule started would be good fro the community....

The dual issue has been around A LONG time in the gasser world, and I know guys on here say it's a diesel class, not a gas class, and that's true, but the reason for not allowing duals has nothing to do as to what's in the fuel tank. In some cases it's a Perception = Reality, and the perception is duals = more traction.

And then there are areas where duals ARE an advantage. More tire, more traction (especially on tracks with limited traction). Unlike wheelbase (crewcab, ex-cab, longbed, shortbed, etc.) tires are EASY to change and/or tech. Many clubs use hitch percentage to even out wheelbase, but there is no easy "handicap" for duals vs. non duals (I have seen pulls where there is a weight penalty for running duals). Everyone who pulls competitively does not use "stock tires", so changing tires should be a NON issue (one of the easiest things to change). I know it sucks for guys who run dually's daily as they have to change, but on a dedicated rig it should be no issue. I used to change 4 tires (32 lug nuts) at every pull (twice) as I had dedicated tires for my rig that never saw street, plus change hitches, suspension stops, torsion bars, etc. etc. so changing 16 lug nuts would actually be easy (if you are serious about pulling).

I know it sucks for guys with dually's having to swap tires, but imagine how the regular cab guys feel in a non hanging weight class......as they have no option to change their wheelbase or ballast location (legally).

There is the option of allowing all trucks (dually or non dually) to run six tires as well. The problem then becomes one of legality and safety. Most states (if not all), you cannot run an uncovered tire and some would argue it's a safety issue on the track as well. Are guys using proper techniques and materials to run duals on the rear properly? Added cost as axleshafts take more abuse etc.

It's easier/safer to limit the number of tires than teching "add ons" and could even get into insurance issues as well (as if we don't have enough, for those that actually have had to deal first hand with motorsports insurance coverage).

Your statement about limiting power is true, one way to keep power in check is by limiting weight and tires (as everyone seems set against restrictor plates or other EASY ways to limit power beyond workstock and 2.5 classes). You can only put so much power to the ground given a specific weight and tire restriction (traction and physics). Diesels by nature are heavier than gassers so running 6200 lbs. is not an option, the only other way to limit power transfer to the ground is by limiting the number of tires (4 vs 6) as well as size and width (although most clubs don't specify width restrictions). Limiting tires will limit the power you can put to the track. So you are limiting power by limiting the amount of power you can transfer......although it is azzbackwards, it's what we have to work with considering the current turbo rules way of thinking.

If you notice the gasser classes usually don't change weight (most are 6200)as they go with more power, they lessen the restrictions on tires. Or another way of looking at it, is they restrict tires more in the lower classes to limit how much power can be put to the track in an effort to limit how far people push the HP limits (and in turn make them focus on setup and track reading). HP does no good if you can't hook it.

There are many things we can't control as puller, organizers, promotors, etc. but tires are EASY.

I have seen many trucks that "turn ugly" when running singles on a dually bed, so I understand the issue many guys have when their trucks look silly, stupid, or gay....., but I have also seen it been an advantage (for the true competitor) as they track better (more offset) and seen guys with singles on a dually that looked fricken sweet with spacers, offsets, or super single rims. If it's soley from an asthetic perspective, there are ways to make it look non "goofy". It all depends on how dedicated you are.

Super Single Wheels | Brush Fire Trucks > 1st Attack - Custom Emergency Vehicles, Brush Fire Trucks

Dually conversion - Duramax Diesels Forum

For those that were around pulling before diesels (yes there was a time before competitive diesels in pulling), was there any other reasons this trend "started" that you know of (not hearsay)?

Since its not the big of a deal to pull your duals off and run singles, its also not that big of a deal to run duals on your SRW truck. If this rule is adopted, it only makes more work for the truck pullers. If everyone only pulled with one organization, it would be fine. But there are several times throughout the year where I hook with different organizations or at brush pulls/county fairs.

Who cares what the gasser guys do or don't do? In the words of jponder "this aint that".

If you limit it to single tires only, then youll have people spending money on custom wheels that are 15 inches wide. Yes, you can include a width limit, but then its just more hassle for the techs.

I guess I still don't really understand why you guys think its a good idea to limit it to a single tire? Is it because the OEM duallys have an advantage over the single wheel trucks? Is it an attempt to save on driveline costs?

It's a little of both.

1. Require dually guys to remove tires, buy a rim and tire, and pull

Or

2. Require SRW guys to buy an adapter (most are not cheap), a rim, a tire, and fender extension

What makes the most financial sense to get on equal ground traction wise (please answer me that)?

Also what safety measures would be taken to ensure a SRW to DRW conversion was safe?

Liability: I know if we had a tire come off an SRW truck that had a non OEM dually adapter (and possibly no fender covering it) and it hit someone, we would probably be sued out of existance. It's not a chance the club is willing to take just to make someone happy.

For those reasons: cost, equal traction, and safety, WE require dually's to drop a wheel and pull and prevent SRW's from bolting on an extra tire....

We don't prevent anyone from pulling, but require certain criteria to be met (not much different than weight or hitch height requirements).

Thoughts?

Last edited:
It's a little of both.

1. Require dually guys to remove tires, buy a rim and tire, and pull

Or

2. Require SRW guys to buy an adapter (most are not cheap), a rim, a tire, and fender extension

What makes the most financial sense to get on equal ground traction wise (please answer me that)?

Also what safety measures would be taken to ensure a SRW to DRW conversion was safe?

Liability: I know if we had a tire come off an SRW truck that had a non OEM dually adapter (and possibly no fender covering it) and it hit someone, we would probably be sued out of existance. It's not a chance the club is willing to take just to make someone happy.

For those reasons: cost, equal traction, and safety, WE require dually's to drop a wheel and pull and prevent SRW's from bolting on an extra tire....

We don't prevent anyone from pulling, but require certain criteria to be met (not much different than weight or hitch height requirements).

Thoughts?

Even an OEM item doesn't protect you, your using it in an application other than what it was engineered for.

So not for sure if the covered/uncovered tire really even applies.

I dont think some fiberglass is going to stop a tire thats breaks free when the truck is turning 5k. Theres always a risk. a flywheel could come apart and will go right through anything in its path. A rod could shoot out the side of the block and keep right on going. There's a never ending list of what if's. The guy whos mad about have to pull his dual wheels off to put the single on could have been frustrated and forgot to torque the lugs all the way, now your making it more dangerous then it was in the first place.

Even an OEM item doesn't protect you, your using it in an application other than what it was engineered for.

So not for sure if the covered/uncovered tire really even applies.

OEM doesn't necessarily protect you, but you have a better chance in court vs. Billy Bob's Dually Adapter. Also a covered tire is easier to defend than an uncovered tire (even if it is only a flimsly fiberglass piece).

As to loose lugnuts, there are plenty around here :kick:. SRW and DRW guys change tires all the time. Chance of loose lugs is equal with both. Allowing equal traction and having guys with SRW's installing adapters that use an EXTRA set of lugnuts INCREASES the chance of a loose lugnut if you want to go that route.

As to broken flywheels, rods windowing blocks, etc., they are HUGE safety concern (and many would argue even more so than a lousy tire coming loose), but it's one of the easiest things to control and most importantly SEE.

Everybody is quick to defend one way or another, but call the companies that provide your event/motorsports/pulling insurance and run all the facts by them. See what you get for an answer..... I already know what our insurance company thinks and is the reason for our rules (not some arbitrary vote)

Do what you will and I hope you don't have any issues. It's not an issue until someone gets hurt.

OEM doesn't necessarily protect you, but you have a better chance in court vs. Billy Bob's Dually Adapter. Also a covered tire is easier to defend than an uncovered tire (even if it is only a flimsly fiberglass piece).

Hmm, your not using something for its intended purpose, your hosed!

what about covering that dual tire to prevent it from slinging somthing that it picks up into somthing....it wasnt that long ago i did hear about somthing hitting the window of the sled and breaking it...more than likely comning from the uncovered tire hanging outside of the bed? just a thought and my two cents

what about covering that dual tire to prevent it from slinging somthing that it picks up into somthing....it wasnt that long ago i did hear about somthing hitting the window of the sled and breaking it...more than likely comning from the uncovered tire hanging outside of the bed? just a thought and my two cents

The truck that hit the sled window with a rock and broke it, was a dually truck, running 285 tires.

Last edited:
The truck that hit the sled window with a rock and broke it, was a dually truck, running 285 tires.

If that's what a covered tire can do, imagine what could happen with an uncovered tire? At least with a covered tire, it limits how/where debris can be slung. So much for people saying tires can't cause damage/injury.

oh sorry guys didnt know it was a covered tire..i was just adding somthing for thought im not either way on duals but for guys that can put duals on surely its not a big deal to find a dually bed but i dont know ill let the guys who know more than me decide that

Back