Duramax Help needed ASAP

smknram

"ADICTED"
My buddy is having problems with his 06 duramax. He said if you drive easy it runs fine but if you get on it, it has no power, exspecially above 2000 rpm. I need to talk to him some more to get more details but i know nothing about duramaxs, could anybody please give some opinions? i did talk to a guy that seemed to think its the EGR valve. Does that sound right? im a 12V guy and dont really know anything about the new computerized stuff so any help is appericated.
Thanks

Ok i just talked to him again in more detail and its throwing a 1093 code which i believe is low fuel pressure, correct?? fuel filter was just changed since all this started. It has a edge j/a. And it just goes into limp mode around 2k rpms when he runs the truck hard. Any suggestions?

since you recently changed the filter, my first guesses would be
A) possible loose filter or WIF sensor or an out of place O ring ( I had this problem once with a not tightened enough WIF sensor. but I got the P0087 code)

B) possible bad fuel

is this an LBZ or an LLY? i'm going to assume an LLY and he may possibly have to shim the fuel pressure relief valve.what level is he running the edge on when he gets the code?
just a thought or 2 to look at

It is an LLY

And since he didnt change the fuel filter until after the problem started then we can pretty much rule out the fuel filter. He said it will happen everytime he hooks up the trailer to haul his jeep rock crawler but if he is not towing than he absolutely has to run the piss out of the truck to make it do it.

Could you give some more info on the fuel pressure relief valve?

Yep, 1093 is low fuel pressure. It seems to happen a lot on LLY-LBZ Dmax's running Edge boxes. The behavior you're describing is a Dmax going into "limp" mode so it doesn't hurt itself. This happens to prevent the engine from running lean and to reduce pump cavitation damage. Hopefully your buddy just got a bad batch of fuel and plugged the new filter, cause that's one of the two cheap fixes for a 1093 code.

It could also (like you've already heard) be the EGR valve. There's a free mod that you can do yourself called a "shim valve mod" that'd fix that problem. Call PPE @ (714) 985-4825 and one of their tech's will be glad to go over the mod and what you'd need to do it.

If it's not one of these, he could be looking at a pump problem or worse...an injector wire harness...probably on the #2 or #7 injector. Good Luck, and hope it turns out well for your buddy.

Could you give some more info on the fuel pressure relief valve?

Sure. the FPRV valve can also be shimmed to fix that problem. What could have happened is the fprv could have gotton over pressured, or just a sudden release of the throttle spiked the railpressure and popped the valve open, releasing the pressure quickly causing a 1093, low rail pressure code. Unplugging the Edge most likely will stop it due to the decrease in fuel needs not having the edge on it. (I copy and pasted this from Stacks04 at The Diesel Place)
So try to unplug the Edge and see what happens.

What level is he running when he's towing the trailer? I cannot run the Edge on level 6 empty for too long of a run w/o throwing a code....yea, I need lift pumps....

smknram said:
Ok i just talked to him again in more detail and its throwing a 1093 code which i believe is low fuel pressure, correct?? fuel filter was just changed since all this started. It has a edge j/a. And it just goes into limp mode around 2k rpms when he runs the truck hard. Any suggestions?

My truck started throwing engine codes when I put in the Edge juice with attitude, scrap the edge, it's a pain in the ass! I am scrapping mine and going with EFI Live when I save up the money.

He said it happens on every level with the edge and even totally disconnected the edge and still has the same problem so im not ready to put the blame on the edge yet. Im thinkin the fuel pressure relief valve but as i stated before, i dont really know enough about duramaxs to say that is deffinately the problem

If it's a 06 LLY (6 speed) than I highly doubt it's the FPRV. I've yet to here of one going bad. Yes the 04-05 LLY had this problem, but not the 06-07.

I'd also look to the fuel filter, or fuel being the culprit.

Make sure the edge is diconnected and not just on the stock setting. Check and clear the codes.

im sorry i thought it was an 06 but it is an 04.5 LLY auto. I talked to PPE and they felt certain its the FPRV. And yes he did competely unhooked it edge and it still does it.

Back