Duramax in a 70 Lemans

95cummins

Hey guys, I have been looking into doing a Duramax swap into my 70 Pontiac Lemans.

I was wanting to go with an LBZ, but I can get an lb7 for a pretty good price.

My question is, would it be worth just going with the lb7 and possibly having injector issues or just hold out and find an lbz?

Also, has anybody run a Dodge 47rh behind these? I think it would be easier to go that route than it would be to do the Allison.

Oh and btw, this is gonna be a mildly built engine. Nothing crazy, but I would like to see a daily driven, mid 12's car that get 30+ mpg.

use whatever you can get engine wise. if injectors go out look at it as a chance to upgrade..
a 4l80e will bolt right to that engine. and if built well it will take a ton of power. mike woods in the dmax mustang uses a 4l80 and a gear vendors and makes over 1000hp. and you th400 yoke will work with trans...

The engine has about 75k on it now, so I was thinking I would just go ahead and do the injectors while I was there.

You definitely do have a point on the 4l80e bolting up. I was thinking about the 47rh from the simplicity standpoint, but I would need adapters so on and so forth.....

manual valvebodies and parts are available for 4l80 so you dont need a controller. it might be more of a hassle to drive but would be easier from get go

The 47RE is EXPENSIVE to mate up to the DURAMAX(research the DURAFLITE, on average it will cost you $10-12K for a complete set-up). For a lighter weight car, go with the 4L85E from GMPP and a SUNCOATS or PRECISION torque converter. As for which engine to go with, it's hard to beat the LB7 for simplicity and ease of tuning compared to the LBZ. EFILIVE will just about be a requirement unless you go with a pre tuned ECM for a swap like this. The only real adantage to the LBZ engine would be you could go with a van engine(it's called an LLY, but is the same engine as an LBZ with a different intake set-up for the van), and run the electronics from it as they came stock with the 4L85E trans. I believe there is some talk out now about possibly being able to mate the new 6L90E up to a DMAX(06+), as the electronics should be able to be made to work together.

Who does a harness for a 2006 LBZ, I purchased an engine and need a harness for my 72 C-10 2wd I am putting it in....

If you are in the market for an LB7 engine I have one with 87k on it for sale..
$2,500 if you are interested P.M. me..

Does anyone know what all needs to be done to a 4l80e to hold the power of a duramax?

I don't plan on getting too crazy with it. Probably as far as I can go on a factory turbo. Efi live and injectors.

The car is gonna have a Ford 9 inch rear, 4 linked and coilovers.:charger:

Does anyone know what all needs to be done to a 4l80e to hold the power of a duramax?

I don't plan on getting too crazy with it. Probably as far as I can go on a factory turbo. Efi live and injectors.

The car is gonna have a Ford 9 inch rear, 4 linked and coilovers.:charger:

Depends on how heavy the car is going to be. IIRC Johnboy said the NX mustang in the beginning had a basically stock 4L80 with a converter, trans brake and shift kit. I think they've went billet now. It's right around 3500 with driver.

Weight is your enemy with the 4L80/85E trans and the DURAMAX. Keep the weight down and you'll be fine though.

Back